• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Lack AND MURPHY to Calgary - goalie logjam unjammed

StormChaserBH

http://www.tsn.ca/flames-get-goalie-lack-from-carolina-1.792857

.... and I just saw it also helped the Defense by addition-by-subtraction -- (feel free to update the thread title)

The Calgary Flames have acquired goaltender Eddie Lack, defenseman Ryan Murphy and a seventh-round draft pick in 2019 from the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for defenseman Keegan Kanzig and a sixth-round pick in 2019.

We keep 50% of Lack's salary.

Holy crap, Kanzig is 6′ 7″ 245 lbs

(Edited by JB ... duh)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Lack to Calgary - goalie logjam unjammed

Clears the 7th D-man cloud and the goalie cloud in one fell swoop.

Also saved money vs. the buyout scenario while still retaining cap hit for 1/2 salary.

Assume the contract in return is just that.

This does solve 2 roster issues AND it improves our minor league blue line depth (something we needed to do). It also eliminates Murphy's cap hit and half of Lack's which means Ronnie has to find more cap hit to get to the floor than I had expected.

Good job Ronnie, I think. So who are we bringing on to get to the cap floor?

Draisaitl would need to be offered more than twice what Skinner and Staal get paid. Of course that would check off lots of boxes for the Canes but obviously the Canes are not going to do something that over the top.

Fun to dream about but about a week after McDavid's deal is official Draisaitl will get 8 years $88 million from Edmonton and all of this offersheet talk will be over

Last edited:

WOOO! My doghouse got cleared in one fell swoop (or is that one swell foop?) Nicely played RF, though I expected to read about a bag of pucks somewhere in the mix. I get the distinct impression that Mr. Francis knows exactly what he wants in a hockey team.

Jim

This got done! I am impressed. More that we managed to add (throw-in) Ryan Murphy. Watch now... ;)

Ok. So there's still a chance then we are on track to land an top notch center, scoring winger and a veteran defender before the puck drops on 2017-18 season right??

there's still a chance then we are on track to land an top notch center, scoring winger and a veteran defender

Sure, Lucas Wallmark, Julian Gauthier and Hadyn Fleury. :facepalm

I actually would rather we NOT sign a vet Dman early on and clog up any chance that Fleury or Carrick could make the Canes this season. That assumes of course that Ronnie isn't opening up another hole on the D with a trade to fill some of those other gaps you noted.

Ronnie has to add almost another $6 million in cap room. Assume PDG is going to take up $800k of that. Then assume Fleury takes another $900k. That still leaves us with only 11 forwards, 7 Dmen and 2 goalie and $4.3 million short of the cap. We need another forward or 2 who get us to the cap floor.

Last edited:

Nope. My guess is the team will sign a couple of thirdliners and then trade for someone elses bad contract just to get up to the floor.

He's looking for a bluebird, a nice fat cap hit and 0 $$$.

I see a very young, fast, quick team with a lot of enthusiasm and fire.

Sure, Lucas Wallmark, Julian Gauthier and Hadyn Fleury. :facepalm

I actually would rather we NOT sign a vet Dman early on and clog up any chance that Fleury or Carrick could make the Canes this season. That assumes of course that Ronnie isn't opening up another hole on the D with a trade to fill some of those other gaps you noted.

Ronnie has to add almost another $6 million in cap room. Assume PDG is going to take up $800k of that. Then assume Fleury takes another $900k. That still leaves us with only 11 forwards, 7 Dmen and 2 goalie and $4.3 million short of the cap. We need another forward or 2 who get us to the cap floor.

It's going to come down to some scraps or a guy or two that sits out there a bit waiting for a contract to sign here. If this team had real money to spend they could have really turned this summer into a great one, but we all know there is no money to spend.

Thoughts:

A. The OP buried the lead .... MURPHY IS GONE. LONG MAY HE STAY AWAY
Seriously, any deal that gets that kid out of here has my blessing. He was just too great a temptation to this organization for some reason.

B. Lack had to go and it's pretty clear that there was no real market for the guy since we had to bundle him with the smurf AND eat some money. Fine. The issue with Eddie wasn't so much how badly he played last season, but rather than he managed to play badly AND burn his bridges with Peters ... who clearly was fed the heck up with the guy by the end of the season. You just don't need a backup keeper around that the coach hates. It's bad business. Lack is loved by his teammates and has a certain goofy charm. Best of luck to him down the road.

C. The return ... a giant hulk of a D man. I mean, alright. It doesn't sound like Kanzig (I'm always going to think of the band Danzig ... can't help it) is all that, but he's HUGE and one thing lacking (get it, get it?) in our deep and diverse pool of defense prospects is serious size. If he matches that bulk with some snarl then he's a good addition to the mix. Remember, big boys take longer in the oven, so don't be in a rush to speculate about NHL time for this kid. Let's just see if he can manage a full year in the A first.

All in all, that was a good day of business for our GM. Credit where it's due.

Thoughts:

A. The OP buried the lead .... MURPHY IS GONE. LONG MAY HE STAY AWAY
Seriously, any deal that gets that kid out of here has my blessing. .

... and admittedly so, by my first edit referring to the thread title! :) I took my clue from the TSN headline and wanted to get the thread started so I didn't go back and read the rest of the deal until I had first posted.

No small victory for our GM to rid of almost $2.2M of dead money on the roster and actually get something in return (even if it's just a long-shot Incredible Hulk and a 1 round bump in a late draft pick).

Yeah we got Twist of Cain 6'7 behemoth and solved two glaring issues in the process. I'll take it. Apparently 'for a big man, his skate stride is pretty smooth, although still needs some work'. I'll take it.

I would think the odds of Kanzig ever playing in the NHL are pretty slim, but we did need a depth guy for Charlotte (if he is even capable of playing in Charlotte) and his NHL potential is something above zero, so he is a worthwhile return for 2 guys we really need to be gone.

Smurphy was just placed on waivers by Calgary for the purpose of a buyout...poor kid didn't last 24 hours in Calgary, that's hardly long enough to even fill a car full of packing peanuts.

Last edited:
Hope he didn't make plane reservations or anything...

j/k, likely of course since it would have been part of the arranged trade, known that CGY was just going to pay for the buyout, so I'm sure Smurph was told yesterday afternoon.

Kid just needs to go to the Swiss league or something and have some fun playing the game again.

Back