• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

I’m still wary that this is just one of those random Hamburglar/JS Aubin-style runs shit goalies occasionally go on, since goalies are bastards.

After all, the dude was a mediocre NCAA goalie and he’s been a shit AHL goalie up until now. But the flip-side of the “goalies are bastards” coin is that they occasionally stay good after coming out of nowhere. So hopefully this is that.

And he’s definitely earned the next call-up if a goalie goes down. Hopefully we never see Erik Kallgren again.

I’m still wary that this is just one of those random Hamburglar/JS Aubin-style runs shit goalies occasionally go on, since goalies are bastards.

After all, the dude was a mediocre NCAA goalie and he’s been a shit AHL goalie up until now. But the flip-side of the “goalies are bastards” coin is that they occasionally stay good after coming out of nowhere. So hopefully this is that.

And he’s definitely earned the next call-up if a goalie goes down. Hopefully we never see Erik Kallgren again.
yeah at this point, this is a just a heater.

I actually do still think that both Woll and Scott were legit prospects that went sour due to injuries. And even then Woll has showed steady progress year over year despite injuries. I think it was kind of annoying bad luck that both those guys kind of fell apart as prospects. Him being good now at 24 is not a crazy result and we shouldn't be overly skeptical aside from sample size and him being a fucking goalie.

Anyways, the goalie pipeline this year:

Murray (28, NHL): 17gms, .919
Samsonov (25, NHL): 16gms, .916

Hildeby (21, SHL): 11gms, .930
Woll (24, AHL): 9gms, .935

Akhtyamov (21, VHL): 31gms, .944
Peksa (20, VHL): 34gms, .921
Cavallin (21, ECHL): 18gms, .922

Not bad.

And we might have both Woll and Hildeby in the AHL next year, with hopefully both Akhtyamov and Peksa in the KHL.

We do, but they all suck.

Petruzzelli (23): AHL 13gms, .901 - ECHL 3gms, .902
Ferguson (24): AHL 5gms, .888
McKay (25): AHL 2gms, .885 ----- ECHL 13gms, .885
Kallgren (26): AHL 7gms, .876 --- NHL 10gms, .898

Would love it to see all those guys cleared out and actually have our AHL team using (tall) 3rd and 4th round picks next year.

I can't believe how many games have been wasted by the Leafs by playing a career ~.890 AHL goalie. Is it that hard to even find a decent AHL goalie?

To be fair, he's the only one that we should legitimately be excited about at this point. Being elite in the SHL at 20 and 21 puts him on a very good path, especially with his physical tools. Though even then he's doing it as a backup not a starter so thats a caveat.

Woll, Akhtyamov, and Peksa doing well is nice but they have much more to do get legit excited about.

It's pretty comical how bad Kallgren is.

26yr old with career sub-.900sv% in the AHL.

You can cut bait with this guy anytime, dubes.

It's pretty comical how bad Kallgren is.

26yr old with career sub-.900sv% in the AHL.

You can cut bait with this guy anytime, dubes.

They’re probably stuck with him for now. Woll’s jumped ahead of him on the depth chart to be sure, but he has a very limited track record of either staying healthy or playing well.

So until Hildeby’s SHL season is over, they need another warm body signed to an NHL deal in case of injury to Murray or Samsonov.

Come the off-season though, hopefully they don’t bother extending him a qualifying offer.

Because the Leafs can win without top goaltending in the regular season, which I've been saying for a couple of years now.

Just like how we pulled out the win last night, where Murray performed worse than any Kallgren start and gave them all those goals.

Back