• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

A measly four-point night with two goals & two assists tonight.

That's 53 goals and 80 points in 45 games now.

Kid's a beast.

doesn't he have to play in the OHL again next season? kind of a waste

Not sure. The NHL/CHL transfer agreement is up after this season and the NHL apparently wants what amounts to an "exceptional player" type of clause so that kids like Robertson who are clearly too good for junior, but might potentially not be ready for the show, can play in the AHL.

Mitch finished with a 2.04 PPG mark in his 18 year-old regular season in the OHL.

Nick's up to 1.85 PPG now in his own 18 year-old season.

Not sure. The NHL/CHL transfer agreement is up after this season and the NHL apparently wants what amounts to an "exceptional player" type of clause so that kids like Robertson who are clearly too good for junior, but might potentially not be ready for the show, can play in the AHL.

That would be excellent timing. The change is long overdue. I understand why the CHL teams are against it, but at the end of the day the priority should be what's best for these kids' development.

Though it's not outside the realm of possibility Robertson might be good enough to skip past the AHL anyway.

That would be excellent timing. The change is long overdue. I understand why the CHL teams are against it, but at the end of the day the priority should be what's best for these kids' development.

Though it's not outside the realm of possibility Robertson might be good enough to skip past the AHL anyway.

Yeah, it's a tough spot to figure out though. We have Hyman-Johnsson-Mikky-Engvall on the left already and Robertson will still be 18 at the start of camp. So what do you do?

Do you clear a spot for him by trading a NHL caliber winger away? What if he's not ready? Now you're short a top 9 winger (if he's not in our top 9, there's kind of no point imo) that you traded away.

I have no problem with him getting 10min a night on a line with a wily playmaking vet center like Spezza and a bodyguard like clifford.

Yeah, it's a tough spot to figure out though. We have Hyman-Johnsson-Mikky-Engvall on the left already and Robertson will still be 18 at the start of camp. So what do you do?

Do you clear a spot for him by trading a NHL caliber winger away? What if he's not ready? Now you're short a top 9 winger (if he's not in our top 9, there's kind of no point imo) that you traded away.

I think even in a fully healthy lineup, you could probably fit Robertson into one of the twelve available roster spots up front. Assuming Clifford's gone and every other forward is back and healthy, you could do:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Mikheyev - Tavares - Nylander
Johnsson - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Robertson - Engvall - Spezza

...and then who's Robertson bumping out that should be in the lineup ahead of him? Malgin? Gauthier? Petan?

And if this year has been any indication, we'll count ourselves very lucky if we ever have a fully healthy lineup. With Johnsson out for the rest of the year, it's not going to happen a single time this entire season. So there will be times when extra opportunity would be there for him.

Back