• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

And not sure there's more than 5 undrafted names to slot ahead of him either.

I’m not really up on other top prospects around the league anymore, but when I get the chance I’ll be curious to look into the guys he’s got rated ahead of Robertson.

One of them is Montreal’s Cole Caufield (#3 on Wheeler’s list, to Robertson’s #10), and I’m far from convinced that’s Caufield’s the better prospect (let alone there being that kind of gap between them) based on their respective track records.

I mean Wheeler is a big dumdum but cool
His haircut is dumb.

And he's just some nerd with a journalism degree with absolutely no background in hockey. I often see articles of him breaking down players and teams and systems that teams use and it's always a complete catastrophe. It really is one of the strangest fits I've seen on the Athletic.

I’m not really up on other top prospects around the league anymore, but when I get the chance I’ll be curious to look into the guys he’s got rated ahead of Robertson.

One of them is Montreal’s Cole Caufield (#3 on Wheeler’s list, to Robertson’s #10), and I’m far from convinced that’s Caufield’s the better prospect (let alone there being that kind of gap between them) based on their respective track records.

Yeah likely. On this year's numbers alone robertson ranks right up there with anyone, really. But I guess its probably smart to maintain a bit of skepticism with his lack of previous elite performance.

I've never understood the hate-on for Wheeler. I never read his stuff before the Athletic but on there ... good stuff, imo. He's always willing to engage critics too.

From Jack Han on the Athletic:

Bemstrom is one who got away

Emil Bemstrom was drafted in the fourth round, 117th overall, by Columbus in 2017. Leading up to that draft, then-Leafs assistant GM Kyle Dubas pushed hard for him but was overruled by fellow assistant GM Mark Hunter — who ran the Leafs draft — and his staff.
Instead, the Leafs (who didn’t have a third-rounder that year) selected defenseman Eemeli Rasanen (who we’ll likely never see in North America) in the second round, 59th overall, and goaltender Ian Scott (who didn’t play a game last season due to injury) seven spots ahead of Bemstrom in Round 4.
This season, his first with the Blue Jackets, Bemstrom had 10 goals and 20 points in 56 games. He is the highest-scoring player taken outside of the 2017 first round.

From Jack Han on the Athletic:

Bemstrom is one who got away

Emil Bemstrom was drafted in the fourth round, 117th overall, by Columbus in 2017. Leading up to that draft, then-Leafs assistant GM Kyle Dubas pushed hard for him but was overruled by fellow assistant GM Mark Hunter — who ran the Leafs draft — and his staff.
Instead, the Leafs (who didn’t have a third-rounder that year) selected defenseman Eemeli Rasanen (who we’ll likely never see in North America) in the second round, 59th overall, and goaltender Ian Scott (who didn’t play a game last season due to injury) seven spots ahead of Bemstrom in Round 4.
This season, his first with the Blue Jackets, Bemstrom had 10 goals and 20 points in 56 games. He is the highest-scoring player taken outside of the 2017 first round.
That is fucking maddening.

So yeah, Hunter is fucking shit and Dubas will continue finding gems in the mid rounds of the draft .

Was just gonna post that.

Hunter wasted a whole lotta picks on hulking dmen.

Meanwhile dubas signs a 20yr old Rubins who is bigger and better than any of them, for free.

We care about a guy with 20 points in 56 games now? Granted first showing and all, but this isn’t exactly passing on Carter Hart for Korshkov when we desperately needed a goalie in the system, which happened under Dubie’s watch.

We care about a guy with 20 points in 56 games now? Granted first showing and all, but this isn’t exactly passing on Carter Hart for Korshkov when we desperately needed a goalie in the system, which happened under Dubie’s watch.
Nope, that was Hunter too. Dubas is the guy that drafts good players.

those are the types of players that we will need our homegrown pipeline to produce to fill out our bottom six for cheap during our top-heavy window.

so yeah, we can care.

Back