• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs re-sign Morgan Rielly. 8 years/7.5M

Beauty. I'm hoping Rielly is a Dan Boyle type. A guy that because of the way he skates can remain effective well into his mid 30's.

Probably in the minority but I worry about Mo. Deffo a hometown discount tho.

Scary as fuck whenever you sign a defenseman for eight years.

But yeah, he’s coming in at about $1.5M less per season than I thought he would. He’s also only 27, so this deal takes him to the end of his age 35 season.

And it would’ve fucking sucked to watch him walk as a UFA.

Reasonable deal given the market and his comparables. If anything, Rielly took a pretty significant discount.

Tough to take issue with this deal from my perspective.

I think what is up for debate is whether it is wise to resign Rielly for the long-term. If you think it is, then this is a great deal. If you think not, then any deal was bad.

I'm still somewhat on the fence on the first issue but definitely am happy with the terms and think they are team-friendly.

Nerds aren't very happy with him as a player. Other than Dom really. Dom dom dom dom dom dom dom dom

Outside perspective, I like this deal for Toronto. And you had no choice to sign him, because you couldn't have afforded to lose him for nothing at the end of the year.

Options were, trade him in the summer or re-sign him.

I get aging curves and being wary of the term based on comps. But If you let him go I don't know how the hell you replace him. He is one of the best dmen in the league in spite of defensive shortcomings. He is the elite of elite offensively.

And the potential downside is why getting him for $2 mill off is so great. This contract is way easier to get value out of/move than Jones, Karlsson, Doughty. Subban etc.

Back