• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs Sign Wayne Simmonds. 1yr/$1.5M, NMC

Just over the past short while that he's been gm:

1. Traded significant assets for Muzzin
2. Extended Muzzin
3. Traded for Clifford
4. Has constantly said his team needs to play harder

It only seems odd if you ignore what he does. He was also big on having apes in his Marlies lineups.

Muzzin I will give you.

Clifford again was a throw in in the Campbell deal. That deal wasn't made because of Clifford. And regardless he is an irrelevant player who can't really play much. Not sure why this is suddenly being used as an example of bringing on toughness. Don't we all want tougher guys who can play? Simmonds is much better than Clifford.

And he hasn't "constantly said the team has to be harder to play against". This is a very recent line that has been thrown out by Dubas. Maybe he finally realized building a team full of soft one-dimensional players who are skilled isn't necessarily the right way to go. But you can tell with the majority of his acquisitions and his general philosophy on drafting that this is not his usual shtick. And given the team not progressing at all under his reign and the obvious pressure he is under to win a playoff round, it's not unreasonable to suggest this may be coming from above him. Don't understand why this is so controversial of a take. Everybody here assumed he was helpless when it came to canning Babs but now he is a lone ranger when it comes to personel decisions.

Yes, it is recent. Just before the offseason free agency he said we need to be harder to play against and he'll address that in his bottom six through the market and then, shocker, signed Simmonds.

Was he not involved in bringing in Leo? Think he signed Polak as well after dealing him.

But yeah, Lou also didn't do a good job of making this team tougher to play against. Not a Lou apologist so not sure why the comparison is being made.

Leo and Polak were already here.

Yes, it is recent. Just before the offseason free agency he said we need to be harder to play against and he'll address that in his bottom six through the market and then, shocker, signed Simmonds.

Great, we agree then this hasn't been something he has "always said" and that his philosophy has changed. The reason for this can be argued. I tend to believe he is getting some guidance from Shanny and above to pivot a bit in philosophy.

Great, we agree then this hasn't been something he has "always said" and that his philosophy has changed. The reason for this can be argued. I tend to believe he is getting some guidance from Shanny and above to pivot a bit in philosophy.
It's pretty easy for me to agree that he has not "always said" this because I never claimed it.

Is it fair to say it is a bit of a shift in roster construction in going with a guy who has more grit or is more willing to drop the gloves? Is that a fair assessment?

Dubas
: To me, it doesn’t matter… The fighting part is a tough thing to want someone to go out there and do that. I know it is part of the game, but it is a difficult thing, especially now, to really ask someone to do.

I think he has that element. He is certainly a tough person, but it is not really how we define it. I think that is the narrative out there about our team and how we’ve constructed it — that we’ve kind of shied away from that. We’ve shied away from players that have those elements that can’t play. If you have those elements to your game and your physical and competitive and you have a presence to you, you have to be able to play. I know people will jump on it and doubt the logic behind it, but we play some teams and they play guys one or two minutes a night, and all it does is throw off the chemistry of your bench and the number of guys eligible to actually play in the game.

This was said after the cliff trade. He has never said he is anti toughness. The player just has to know how to play hockey. Simmonds may not be a world beater but he can take a shift in the NHL. It's a very Dubas move.

Dubas' adds to the roster year 1

Tavares
Lindholm
Gauthier
Leivo
Timashov
Moore
Ennis
Petan

Muzzin
Holl
Ozhiganov

Love the Simmonds signing, I have been wanting the leafs to get him for years.
This new kid Anderson could become the new hyman, hopefully.
With this new financial landscape what does hyman get on his next contract?

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hyman is a cap casualty next year. Hopefully we get the next Hyman developed before then. Definitely not a guy we should be paying any more than he already makes. Too bad too because he’s earned every bit of his ice time and earning power.

Skill-testing question:

Name the grit/toughness adds made here by Lou Lamoriello.

Sept 27, 2015 - sign Brad Boyes PTO/UFA

Oct 6, 2015 - claim Frank Corrado off waivers

Feb 9, 2016 - acquire Jared Cowen, Colin Greening, Milan Michalek, Tobias Lindberg, 2017 (OTT) 2nd round pick -for- Dion Phaneuf, four AHL league players

Feb 21, 2016 - acquire Colin Smith, 2016 (COL) 4th round pick -for- Shawn Matthias

Feb 22, 2016 - acquire Raffi Torres, 2017 (SJ) 2nd round pick, 2018 (SJ) 2nd round pick -for- Roman Polak, Nick Spaling

Feb 27, 2016 - acquire Alex Stalock, Ben Smith, 2018 (SJ ) 3rd round pick -for- James Reimer, Jeremy Morin

Feb 28, 2016 - acquire Brooks Laich, Connor Carrick, 2016 (WAS) 2nd round pick -for- Daniel Winnik, 2016 (ANA) 5th round pick

Mar 28, 2016 - sign Kasimir Kaskisuo

June 20, 2016 - acquire Frederik Andersen -for- 2016 (PIT) 1st round pick, 2017 (SJ) 2nd round pick

June 25, 2016 - acquire Kerby Rychel -for- Scott Harrington, 2017 conditional pick

July 1, 2016 - sign Matt Martin

July 2, 2016 - sign Roman Polak

Aug 22, 2016 - sign Jhonas Enroth

Oct 11, 2016 - claim Seth Griffiths off waivers

Oct 24, 2016 - claim Ben Smith off waivers

Jan 10, 2017 - claim Curtis McElhinney off waivers

Feb 4, 2017 - claim Alexey Marchenko off waivers

Feb 27, 2017 - acquire Brian Boyle -for- Byron Froese, 2017 (TOR) 2nd round pick

Mar 1, 2017 - acquire Eric Fehr, Steven Oleksy, 2017 (PIT) 4th round pick -for- Frank Corrado

Mar 17, 2017 - sign Miro Altonen (KHL)

May 16, 2017 - sign Calle Rosen (SHL) and Andreas Borgman (SHL)

June 17, 2017 - Expansion Protection List: Bozak, Brown, Kadri, Komarov, Leivo, Martin, van Reimsdyk, Carrick, Gardiner, Rielly, Andersen

June 21, 2017 - lose Brendan Leipsic to expansion

July 1, 2017 - sign Ron Hainsey, Dominic Moore

July 2, 2017 - sign Patrick Marleau

Oct 6, 2017 - acquire Calvin Pickard -for- Tobias Lindberg, 2018 (TOR) 6th round pick

Feb 25, 2018 - acquire Tomas Plekanec, Kyle Baun -for- Kerby Rychel, Rinat Valiev, 2018 (TOR) 2nd round pick

Sept 27, 2015 - sign Brad Boyes PTO/UFA

Oct 6, 2015 - claim Frank Corrado off waivers

Feb 9, 2016 - acquire Jared Cowen, Colin Greening, Milan Michalek, Tobias Lindberg, 2017 (OTT) 2nd round pick -for- Dion Phaneuf, four AHL league players

Feb 21, 2016 - acquire Colin Smith, 2016 (COL) 4th round pick -for- Shawn Matthias

Feb 22, 2016 - acquire Raffi Torres, 2017 (SJ) 2nd round pick, 2018 (SJ) 2nd round pick -for- Roman Polak, Nick Spaling

Feb 27, 2016 - acquire Alex Stalock, Ben Smith, 2018 (SJ ) 3rd round pick -for- James Reimer, Jeremy Morin

Feb 28, 2016 - acquire Brooks Laich, Connor Carrick, 2016 (WAS) 2nd round pick -for- Daniel Winnik, 2016 (ANA) 5th round pick

Mar 28, 2016 - sign Kasimir Kaskisuo

June 20, 2016 - acquire Frederik Andersen -for- 2016 (PIT) 1st round pick, 2017 (SJ) 2nd round pick

June 25, 2016 - acquire Kerby Rychel -for- Scott Harrington, 2017 conditional pick

July 1, 2016 - sign Matt Martin

July 2, 2016 - sign Roman Polak

Aug 22, 2016 - sign Jhonas Enroth

Oct 11, 2016 - claim Seth Griffiths off waivers

Oct 24, 2016 - claim Ben Smith off waivers

Jan 10, 2017 - claim Curtis McElhinney off waivers

Feb 4, 2017 - claim Alexey Marchenko off waivers

Feb 27, 2017 - acquire Brian Boyle -for- Byron Froese, 2017 (TOR) 2nd round pick

Mar 1, 2017 - acquire Eric Fehr, Steven Oleksy, 2017 (PIT) 4th round pick -for- Frank Corrado

Mar 17, 2017 - sign Miro Altonen (KHL)

May 16, 2017 - sign Calle Rosen (SHL) and Andreas Borgman (SHL)

June 17, 2017 - Expansion Protection List: Bozak, Brown, Kadri, Komarov, Leivo, Martin, van Reimsdyk, Carrick, Gardiner, Rielly, Andersen

June 21, 2017 - lose Brendan Leipsic to expansion

July 1, 2017 - sign Ron Hainsey, Dominic Moore

July 2, 2017 - sign Patrick Marleau

Oct 6, 2017 - acquire Calvin Pickard -for- Tobias Lindberg, 2018 (TOR) 6th round pick

Feb 25, 2018 - acquire Tomas Plekanec, Kyle Baun -for- Kerby Rychel, Rinat Valiev, 2018 (TOR) 2nd round pick

So matt Martin, then.

Back