• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

Why can't he sign a pro contract in the AHL?
He'll lose his eligibility for Boston U.

If he wasn't going to BU and was just a Euro player with pro experience, he'd need to be released by his club because there isn't a transfer agreement between the AHL & the Euro leagues. Euro league teams don't release their players for the AHL. They would for the NHL, though.

Also, teams previously tried signing undrafted Europeans to ELC. The NHL rejected the contracts:

(a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under Section
8.4; or
(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:

• ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).’

He'll lose his eligibility for Boston U.

If he wasn't going to BU and was just a Euro player with pro experience, he'd need to be released by his club because there isn't a transfer agreement between the AHL & the Euro leagues. Euro league teams don't release their players for the AHL. They would for the NHL, though.

Also, teams previously tried signing undrafted Europeans to ELC. The NHL rejected the contracts:

Ahhh... okay. But we could technically sign these guys and they could play in Laval, but they lose eligibility to play college hockey?

Ahhh... okay. But we could technically sign these guys and they could play in Laval, but they lose eligibility to play college hockey?
Yup.

In a few years, the NCAA will (finally) drop their facade that you need to be an amateur with no prior compensation to be eligible to play there.

Which, in return, will be a massive plus for everyone.

1- Demidov.
2- Reinbacher
3- Hutson
4- Hage
5- Roy
6- Fowler
7- Mailloux
8- Engstrom
9- Beck
10- Kapanen

Forgetting anyone noteworthy?

Thats a really solid top 7 though.

Kapanen has an NHL or Europe clause. So he'll be wasting his time in Europe instead of playing in Laval, unfortunately.

I'd have probably the same top 9, maybe in a slightly different order. The 10 slot, meh. After 9, the quality of prospects falls off a cliff. I'd probably have Volokhin personally, but he's such an unknown. Replace Kapanen by Koivu, Volokhin or Konyushkov, it's one and the same.

To me, Koivu & Kapanen are the same level. Average-ish sized players picked in the same area that I don't know the quality of until they come to North America.

I wish Kapanen would play the 2024-2025 seaosn entirely in Laval to see what he's got, but...

I'm hoping Koivu comes over by the 2026 season.

Back