• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
That’s a good upbeat forecast...and possible. So if it all works out we have a 30-40 goal scorer and a good 2nd pairing D-man. I’ll take it but it doesn’t sound like we have such an amazing prospect pool.

Yeah it lacks elite prospects. Though in today's NHL the elite ones tend to make the dance before 20 years old.

Rolex

Canadiens Moderator
Yeah it lacks elite prospects. Though in today's NHL the elite ones tend to make the dance before 20 years old.

I think our problem is developing talent.....elite prospects are found in later rounds of the draft, but if you cannot develop them, they never unlesh their elite talent.

Outside of Gallagher, when was the last time we found a gem in later rounds ? Halak ?

xposbrad

I don’t think Romanov has played enough to be labelled a “super prospect”. I would reserve that label for a sure fire future 1st pairing D. But like I said, I am excited about him.

Not sure a 'super prospect' dman would only have 1 goal in 2 years in the KHL.

GEEMAN

Not sure a 'super prospect' dman would only have 1 goal in 2 years in the KHL.

To play the minutes he did in the KHL at that age rarely happens

He will make a easy transition to us , his strength of high IQ D and gap control are the hardest things for young D

I dont know how many points he will produce in the NHL

My comparison is a Kronwall type with less offence , solid top 4

GGpX

First thing is, young d-men almost never play regularly in the KHL. It's to Romanov's credit that he was able to play in almost every game in the KHL since he turned 18 and not only that, he played with one of the best organizations in Russia. Secondly, when he played in best-on-best tournaments, he was either the best (2019) or second best (2020) in the tournament.

Thirdly, a lot of KHL teams will limit the icetime of young players that they believe are going to be leaving for North America. What's the point in giving them icetime and care about their progression when they're just going to leave, anyway?

I doubt anyone's calling Romanov a future star, just that everything is pointing to him being a very good player for a long time.

Last edited:

GEEMAN

First thing is, young d-men almost never play regularly in the KHL. It's to Romanov's credit that he was able to play in almost every game in the KHL since he turned 18 and not only that, he played with one of the best organizations in Russia. Secondly, when he played in best-on-best tournaments, he was either the best (2019) or second best (2020) in the tournament.

Thirdly, a lot of KHL teams will limit the icetime of young players that they believe are going to be leaving for North America. What's the point in giving them icetime and care about their progression when they're just going to leave, anyway?

I doubt anyone's calling Romanov a future star, just that everything is pointing to him being a very good player for a long time.

As long as the regime doesn’t fcuk it up . If he proves that he belongs in the top 4 , play him .

Don’t give him 11 minutes a night to play behind JE because you gave him a 4 year contract .

If he earns the minutes , let him develop .