• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

GEEMAN

Haven't watched many of our prospects in D but base on comments D core look promising.

The key is we have D prospects with legit potential to play for us

All are LH but by the time they might be ready most of our D will be gone

Nice blend of size , skill, wheels, and defensive zone play

GrandWazoo

First year in the pro is tough for many players, how they react after is quite telling. Both Poehling and Brook had a tough first year but they seem to be playing better so far this year.

GGpX

I don't see any tangible proof that Norlinder will be better than Romanov at any point in their careers.

Compare them year over year:

17 years old (Both draft eligible for the first time)
Norlinder: Undrafted, average player in the Swedish U20 leagues.
Romanov: 2nd round pick, average player in the Russian Junior leagues.

18 years old
Norlinder: 3rd round pick, Swedish U20 playoff MVP, not on Swedish WJC team
Romanov: A KHL regular in a powerhouse team, made Russia's WJC U20 team & named best d-man in the tournament

19 years old
Norlinder: One of the best d-men in Sweden's second tier league, made the Swedish WJC but was their least used d-man.
Romanov: A KHL regular in a powerhouse team, made Russia's WJC U20 team, named captain. Lost best d-man award to Rasmus Sandin

20 years old:
Norlinder: Not putting up great numbers in the Swedish Elite League, doesn't seem like he's close to the NHL.
Romvanov: NHL regular, seems like he'll be in the league for a while.

Norlinder's a gigantic maybe.

GEEMAN

I don't see any tangible proof that Norlinder will be better than Romanov at any point in their careers.

Compare them year over year:

17 years old (Both draft eligible for the first time)
Norlinder: Undrafted, average player in the Swedish U20 leagues.
Romanov: 2nd round pick, average player in the Russian Junior leagues.

18 years old
Norlinder: 3rd round pick, Swedish U20 playoff MVP, not on Swedish WJC team
Romanov: A KHL regular in a powerhouse team, made Russia's WJC U20 team & named best d-man in the tournament

19 years old
Norlinder: One of the best d-men in Sweden's second tier league, made the Swedish WJC but was their least used d-man.
Romanov: A KHL regular in a powerhouse team, made Russia's WJC U20 team, named captain. Lost best d-man award to Rasmus Sandin

20 years old:
Norlinder: Not putting up great numbers in the Swedish Elite League, doesn't seem like he's close to the NHL.
Romvanov: NHL regular, seems like he'll be in the league for a while.

Norlinder's a gigantic maybe.

I agree , I put him last among Guhle , Romanov, Harris, or Struble

Habsy

Yes, I'm kidding people.
Staff member
I agree , I put him last among Guhle , Romanov, Harris, or Struble
Struble is a long term project that likely won’t pan out. I don’t think he’s ahead of Norlinder at all. Argument for the others but not Struble.

GEEMAN

Struble is a long term project that likely won’t pan out. I don’t think he’s ahead of Norlinder at all. Argument for the others but not Struble.

I think he is the sleeper of them all

Strong as an oxe and elite wheels , game getting better too.

Sal_Butera

I think he is the sleeper of them all

Strong as an oxe and elite wheels , game getting better too.
Yup - saw lots of his prep school games his draft year. The only question IMO is will he stay healthy because of his style of game. Tremendous athletic ability, skating is close to elite , and he can be taught to calm his game down - Weber coming out of juniors was very noisy playing D and calmed his game down over time.

GGpX

Struble/Norlinder/Harris and maybe even Fairbrother are all in the same, let's see how they do group. I think they're all longshots to make it, and while what they're doing is nice, I want to see how they look in the AHL.

GGpX

I see Norlinder as trade bait.
I think so too.

Regardless, we're going to have to trade at least one of Norlinder/Harris/Struble/Fairbrother.

Of our 7 best D prospects, 6 are left shooting (Fleury is the only righty). Norlinder, Harris, Struble, Fairbrother, Romanov, Guhle. They're all lefties. Mete's a lefty too, if you want to include him.

We have too many d-men that are going to get to Laval at around the same time and some of them aren't going to make it. Romanov & Guhle seem like shoe-ins to be in the NHL for a while, so where does that leave the other 4? There literally isn't enough space to fit everyone. Some are going to need to be traded, either for rentals or for other players (think RHD or left wingers).

Harris & Fairbrother are there next year, maybe even Norlinder. I think Struble will do 4 years in the NCAA, TBD.

Sal_Butera

I simply hope MB is not entering desperate GM mode, and even though nothing he’s done historically would indicate such...if he is there are checkpoints in place to keep a haphazard deal from happening

GGpX

I don't think he'll get in desperation mode simply because, you have 24 teams you can't realistically make trades with.

The more we wait, the less likely it is we can make a trade because of the 14 day window that the player will have to stay in quarantine. With the condensed schedule, we can't really afford to have a player wait that long.

Which leaves us with 6 teams; Is there really an abundance of rental players you'd be willing to give up assets for on Ottawa & Vancouver? They both have players that I'd give up a lot for (Hughes, Horvat, Chabot, etc.) but they're not available for trade.

In a regular year, the desperation route might have been a viable option.