• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

Ok so I guess that your timeline and Hugo's are a bit different, I doubt they are looking 6 years down the line, they don't have that luxury, and Hugues already stated that he wanted to accelerate the rebuild by getting young NHL ready talent and he's done that. We'll see if it works out. By your logic we should probably be looking to be trading away Suzuki, Caufield, Dach and virtually everyone else on the team since they'll all be over 28 by the time you think we will be ready to compete, although I still don't know how we will be able to compete if we keep trading everyone. The lack of elite talent worries me but I've already given up on that aspect, we will have to find another way to do it.

Now I agree that Newhook isn't exactly the type of player I would be looking for, but asset wise, he probably will have better value in 3 years than the 2 picks we gave away.
If I'm a contender, I would only be half-way into this. But on a team like this? It's something I would do with all forwards with 2-3 years left on their deals, elite talents excluded. Defensemen can be held on to a little bit longer because their value isn't directly correlated with their point totals. A forward could be the best defensive forward in the league, but if he's making $6M / year and he's only getting you 12 goals & 18 assists? His contract sucks.

The main problem that is stopping the rebuild from accelerating are the minefield of bad contracts and the unexpected consequences those have.

Just a thought exercise: Along with Pacioretty, had we traded Price, Petry, Gallagher & Armia instead of re-signing them to the last contracts we gave them, would we be further along than we are right now? The answer's unequivocally yes. All those players would have netted us a decent return, especially Price & Petry.

Back to reality: Not only did we keep those players, most of those players will (or have) end up leaving for quite literally nothing while being anchors on the cap and dragging the team down. If we go one step further, they've become progress stoppers and have prevented us from making trades that would allow us to inherit bad contracts in return for picks. The Allen/Gallagher/Anderson/Armia contracts take up over 20% of the team's cap.

Bad contracts need to be either, you avoid them at all costs or you run head first towards 'em.

Now I agree that Newhook isn't exactly the type of player I would be looking for, but asset wise, he probably will have better value in 3 years than the 2 picks we gave away.
Maybe he'll be worth more, but if you're trading him in three years, what are you realistically hoping to get for him? A middle round 1 pick or a pretty good prospect?

Both of which won't have an impact on the team for a few years, if at all.

I agree that I think it's his timeline as well. I think they'll be looking to fight for playoff spots in 2 years.
If the yutes hit their stride and Fowler develops into a legit starter

The owner can push the agenda all he wants , if your not ready to compete your just spinning your wheels the Nero way

Need 2-3 kids to meet or exceed expectations

If I'm a contender, I would only be half-way into this. But on a team like this? It's something I would do with all forwards with 2-3 years left on their deals, elite talents excluded. Defensemen can be held on to a little bit longer because their value isn't directly correlated with their point totals. A forward could be the best defensive forward in the league, but if he's making $6M / year and he's only getting you 12 goals & 18 assists? His contract sucks.

The main problem that is stopping the rebuild from accelerating are the minefield of bad contracts and the unexpected consequences those have.

Just a thought exercise: Along with Pacioretty, had we traded Price, Petry, Gallagher, the Suzuki type Subban return , Armia instead of re-signing them to the last contracts we gave them, would we be further along than we are right now? The answer's unequivocally fucken yes. All those players would have netted us a decent return, especially Price & Petry.

Back to reality: Not only did we keep those players, most of those players will (or have) end up leaving for quite literally nothing while being anchors on the cap and dragging the team down. If we go one step further, they've become progress stoppers and have prevented us from making trades that would allow us to inherit bad contracts in return for picks. The Allen/Gallagher/Anderson/Armia contracts take up over 20% of the team's cap.

Bad contracts need to be either, you avoid them at all costs or you run head first towards 'em.
Fixed , plus sprinkle in a few years of total suckage , those elite talents might be on board by now plus the prospects in those deals

The inevitable painful rebuild is still on first base

There's many ways to win a cup. Vegas, St Louis and Boston won it without a superstar, but with tremendous depth, that is the path we should aim for. We have an abundance of great d prospects and young players. If Hutson and Reinbacher pans out as a legit first pairing, we could have the deepest D core in the league. We could use a couple of thems to shore up other needs. I'm always an optimist but I think we have a legit shot at a cup without drafting a Celebrini or Eiserman with good management.

Yeah, at some point Hugo has to show he can build a roster...not simply liquidate one for draft picks.

The Dach and Newhook trades were done with the spirit of being competitive as soon as next season.

He wasn't going to play in their top 6, so not much of a surprise.

Hunter Brzustewicz (RHD, third in OHL scoring with 46 points in 28 games) seems to be the biggest omission.

No Quentin Musty either.

It's not the first time Team USA's kept players who went the CHL route away.

Cole Eiserman not making it isn't a real surprise, honestly.

Neither Reinbacher or Rohrer are on Austria's roster for the world juniors.

(Austria's not in the top division this year.)

Neither Reinbacher or Rohrer are on Austria's roster for the world juniors.

(Austria's not in the top division this year.)
A follow-up:

• Reinbacher apparently turned down the invite, likely would've played in they were in the top division.

• Rohrer recently suffered an injury.

Musty is averaging 2 pts per game with Sudbury.

Too bad he was drafted by San Jose. They need players like that in their pipeline and would be very reluctant to trade, I imagine.

Back