• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Michael Bunting to the Canes

Not seeing that from anyone I trust quite yet, but it would make sense. He's an annoying dipstick but has produced pretty well over the last couple of years while playing with better players.

Cool. I trust Weeksie. I just hadn't seen it yet. My trust list is pretty short, especially on Twitter.

Yeah, NHL Network announced it about 15 minutes ago. I haven’t heard anything since then. Maybe it’s like Marchment from last year.

Cool ... now, thoughts on Bunting.

That's maybe a bit rich for my tastes, but it fits the general scheme on Carolina's cap ladder. Bunting slots in in the same general neighborhood as Kotkaniemi and that's fine. Both quality forwards, but both supporting elements. Basically, Bunting fits the old Nino role ... good to really good puck retriever, doesn't need to hold the puck to produce points, decent size, feisty attitude*, good netfront. Nino was a bit more likely to score from range and a bit less likely to use his size to annoy ... and a little better defensively. For his presumed usage as a top 6 winger providing space and retrieving pucks for skilled line mates and playing at the top of the crease on a PP unit, Bunting fits the bill pretty well. At 27, he's experienced without being old and is coming out of a high expectations situation in Toronto. Should be a decent fit. Expectation ... 50 to 60 meaningful points and a solid season in the slot on a PP unit.

*this needs calibration, let's be honest. Carolina needs a bit of aggro up front, but Bunting kind of lost the plot at times in Toronto. He committed way too many dumb penalties and feuded with WAY too many refs. Hopefully Carolina's system and leadership will bring out a slightly toned down version of his junk yard dog persona. Think about the difference between current day Svech and the version we saw in 2020-21 and 2021-22. You'd like to see the former from Bunting ... still aggressive, still taking on physical challenges, but maybe not so much with the loose stick fouls after the play and the mouthing off at refs to the point where they clearly hate your guts.

Bunting’s contract details per CapFriendly.

Breakdown:
23-24: $1.5M + $3M SB
24-25: $4.5M
25-26: $4.5M

M-NTC:
23-24 & 24-25: 10 team no-trade list

Those signing bonuses are all the rage right now. It's a scheme to limit the practical impact of escrow to the monthly salary checks. Basically, you're getting a big lump sum up front and then a tiny monthly check and when additional funds clear escrow ... it's like Christmas. Players have grown to freaking HATE escrow.

Bunting will wear #58, the 4th Cane to wear that number. Jani Hakanpaa was the most recent, Chris Terry was the first.

Back