• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

MSL signed for 3 years

Finishing last is the most succesful thing we can do this year. Hughes doesn't strike me as someone who'll patch the team for no reasons. Letang as a mentor maybe, but we have no use for Perron.

HuGo will not allow MSL to fail, I’m expecting Letang & Perron will be signed as UFAs at a minimum.

Yep. Overpaying for vets whose careers are about to fall off a cliff and won't be around when the good times resume is exactly what we need.

Yep. Overpaying for vets whose careers are about to fall off a cliff and won't be around when the good times resume is exactly what we need.
Didn’t say that’s what the Habs need, but Hughes was very clear in stating another season of finishing last is not acceptable

HuGo will not allow MSL to fail, I’m expecting Letang & Perron will be signed as UFAs at a minimum.
Not finishing last and winning the 2023 draft lottery would equal "failure".

Besides which, neither Letang nor Perron have any interest in coming to Montreal, nor should they.

Didn’t say that’s what the Habs need, but Hughes was very clear in stating another season of finishing last is not acceptable
"Very clear"? What do you expect him to say? That he's trying to tank on purpose?

MSL can go 0-82 next season and his job will not be in jeopardy. And there isn't a team in the NHL better positioned to finish last and nab Bedard next year. Hughes would be foolish to waste an opportunity like that just for the sake of winning a few meaningless regular season games.

"Very clear"? What do you expect him to say? That he's trying to tank on purpose?

MSL can go 0-82 next season and his job will not be in jeopardy. And there isn't a team in the NHL better positioned to finish last and nab Bedard next year. Hughes would be foolish to waste an opportunity like that just for the sake of winning a few meaningless regular season games.
GM Tim Murray did… very emphatically at that. So did Shana-plan

for Habs to finish last this season:
- NHL all time injury record
- Most condensed off season in NHL history
- Lost core leadership group in one off season - via LTIR, injury & UFA
- Played the most condensed schedule last season of any team

All those factors won’t repeat again to ensure a last place finish, they may not make the playoffs but I just don’t see a bottom-5 team, and if Price is healthy…. Fuhgettaboutit

Last edited:

I have to believe that Hughes didn't uproot his life and career just so he can do a mediocre job that will end up with him getting fired in the public square. (stop having rosee for breakfast Sal)

All those factors won’t repeat again to ensure a last place finish, they may not make the w playoffs but I just don’t see a bottom-5 team
Other teams can be truthful with their fans. The Habs have never been straight with their own fans so I don't expect them to start now. Also and in this case, I don't think the Habs can be straight with their fans about a tank. Too many people have this mentality that the Habs must compete for the playoffs every year because nearly three decades of mediocrity has trained them to believe that making the playoffs is the litmus test of a successful season rather than Cup wins. But Hughes should definitely not be doing anything real to try and improve this team next year. His biggest job will be to convince the idiot "we must have playoffs" fanbase that he's trying to do that, while actually doing the opposite.

And despite last year's outliers, I think a last place finish is repeatable this season if they put the requisite effort into being awful. They have the personnel to do it. Trade Allan for Mike Smith and half your problems with winning too much will be solved immediately.

All those factors won’t repeat again to ensure a last place finish, they may not make the playoffs but I just don’t see a bottom-5 team, and if Price is healthy…. Fuhgettaboutit

Bottom 5 is a near lock , this team is a fucken disaster

Price healthy is like saying Gaudreu can beat up Lucic in a cage match

Price probably wont play a game next year , knees are shot

Rest of the division is ahead of us in prospect capital development and roster construction

No excuse for the departures and injury stuff , seeds of demise were planted years ago

Very obvious now that Nero knew Price and Weber were on their last legs and patched to take advantage of the covid gift .

18 wheeler fell of the cliff 2 years ago , this day of doomsville was coming and overdue .

Hughes cant be this stupid to keep patching this ship , half this team is trash

He needs to keep purging the vets who have no future .....Gally , Petry , etc... for picks and prospects and serviceable vets

A few more good drafts is all we need , why continue the 30 year stupidity when the rebuild is in front of you

The Shana plan was a full blown gut rebuild

Blues have done a tremendous job of being competitive for a decade while retooling and drafting on the fly

Thomas, Kyrou , etc....all integrated with their solid core vets

Thing is they had a base to work with , Habs havent had one in decades

I love when people say that. So meaningless. They'll have to improve quite a bit to not finish bottom 3-4 gain. If they finish last, they finish last.

I definitely see a bottom 5 team again, even with Price. The roster is bad. Very bad.

Back