• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

Wayward DP

yeah Bernier turned into an idiot but I do like his pledge to break the ridiculous fucking dairy and cheese cartel in this country.... it’s basically a criminal monopoly, and no other nation pays more for cheese than us
no other nation pays more for mediocre-shit dairy products than we do*

I still remember how offended my French (France) friends are by North American dairy...

Preston

The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust
I don't think you can conflate preferred PM with voting intention though. No doubt the numbers are not good for Erin the Tool however.
If anything it might look even better for Trudeau in the end. I think he takes a fair share of Singh votes if anything.

zeke

I don't think you can conflate preferred PM with voting intention though. No doubt the numbers are not good for Erin the Tool however.

Wouldn't that work the opposite way tho? Election day is when some minority party voters bite their lip and vote for one of the big parties.

Wayward DP

Wouldn't that work the opposite way tho? Election day is when some minority party voters bite their lip and vote for one of the big parties.
I think it really depends.

I mean look at when Justin won his majority. Progressive voters had had enough of Steve and coalesced around the Libs. But then the progressive vote split again by the next election, helped by the impotence of Scheer.

I dunno, I guess I am just skeptical because all the voting intention polls I have seen recently have a much closer spread. Plus, when was the last time the Cons fell below 30% of the popular vote either?

LeafGm

in that case, go Hill go! fracture the right further.

Honestly, I think it'd be good for Conservatives and for the country in general if the CPC broke up into separate parties again. I've been making that argument to my Conservative-supporting dad & brother for a few years now.

It was one thing for Stephen Harper to hold together a big-tent Conservative party and keep it appealing enough to a wide enough cross-section of Canadian society back when we living through the dawn and infancy of social media.

But with the lunatic hard-core fringe of that party increasingly being radicalized online, emboldened by Trump's term in office and generally living in a reality that's completely divorced from the rest of society, I don't see how any Conservative leader can pander to them while also not scaring off the "normal" voters they need to take power. And that's even if they were lead by a strong leader & cunning political operator like Harper instead of the sad-sack, mediocre schlubs who've replaced him.

Wayward DP

Honestly, I think it'd be good for Conservatives and for the country in general if the CPC broke up into separate parties again. I've been making that argument to my Conservative-supporting dad & brother for a few years now.

It was one thing for Stephen Harper to hold together a big-tent Conservative party and keep it appealing enough to a wide enough cross-section of Canadian society back when we living through the dawn and infancy of social media.

But with the lunatic hard-core fringe of that party increasingly being radicalized online, emboldened by Trump's term in office and generally living in a reality that's completely divorced from the rest of society, I don't see how any Conservative leader can pander to them while also not scaring off the "normal" voters they need to take power. And that's even if they were lead by a strong leader & cunning political operator like Harper instead of the sad-sack, mediocre schlubs who've replaced him.
the path for the current conservative party to win an election (let alone a majority) seems to have basically vanished at this point. so yeah, something's gotta give.

Wayward DP

and more on that - Harper truly was a magician getting suburban immigrants and the loony bin western part of the country buying the same product.

UWHabs

The problem is that's a non-starter if you don't have a form of proportional rep though. Because then you're back to the late 90s era when the old PCs could pull in 15-20% of the vote and win like 2 seats because of vote splits. Maybe you get just the right leader and just the right split to eat away enough from the Liberal vote and actually give a real 4-party minority situation, but more likely you just cannibalize your big tent.

The pull of the fringe right has definitely hurt the overall appeal of the CPC. Because the Liberals have the NDP to siphon off the loonies on that side, they basically have a free pass to a large part of the middle right now. Which means they can shift basically as far left as they want and will never be the "radical" piece, the only thing they have to worry about is shifting too far left to alienate the old centre-right Liberals. But with the CPC getting pulled further out to the looney bin, that "fiscal liberal" crowd's only choice is to suck it up and keep voting JT because there's no way they can support the tool on the right.

Now, if the Liberals had actually gone ahead with a ranked ballot or PR system, then all this goes out the window, and I think you really could see a true 3/4-party system at play (with the Bloc and Greens playing spoilers in their small regions).

manny

Canadians pay more for worse quality dairy than almost anywhere. It's shocking when you go to basically any other country in the world where cheese, yogurt and butter are much cheaper and 100X better. If you're in Europe especially, it is basically impossible not to smuggle some good dairy back into the country. The devastating combination of legalized monopoly + extremely high tariffs on imported products making them unmarketable.

Keeps the Canadian mafia happy though.

worm

Looks like it’s Jay Hill, a former Conservative MP who’s the leader of something called the “Maverick Party”.

Had never heard of them before looking them up, but it appears their goal is to be the Western version of the Bloc Québécois.

They’re in favour of “Wexit”, and will only support legislation that’s good for Western Canada.
they got my vote

UWHabs

Canadians pay more for worse quality dairy than almost anywhere. It's shocking when you go to basically any other country in the world where cheese, yogurt and butter are much cheaper and 100X better. If you're in Europe especially, it is basically impossible not to smuggle some good dairy back into the country. The devastating combination of legalized monopoly + extremely high tariffs on imported products making them unmarketable.

Canadian milk is pretty damn good overall. But it's almost criminal both how expensive it is and how badly our cheese market is, compared to elsewhere.

Like, when I go to Germany, in the supermarket I can get a 1l jug of milk for about .55 euro-cents (so, maybe 80 cents CAD), whereas here, to buy a 1l thing of milk it's like 2.50 (really only becomes economical at the 4l mark, and that's still more per liter than in Europe). And cheese is so cheap over there too, other than gimmicks like BabyBell. Like a nice block of gouda for 2-3 Euro, which would probably be like 7.50 here at best.

manny

I think it really depends.

I mean look at when Justin won his majority. Progressive voters had had enough of Steve and coalesced around the Libs. But then the progressive vote split again by the next election, helped by the impotence of Scheer.

I dunno, I guess I am just skeptical because all the voting intention polls I have seen recently have a much closer spread. Plus, when was the last time the Cons fell below 30% of the popular vote either?
I don’t think Singh will be able to make inroads in places like Layton did.

He might be a serious contender for Premier if he didn’t leave provincial politics.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig

I was genuinely surprised how close in quality Mexican dairy is to Canadian dairy which makes me wonder wtf we're actually doing up here.