• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Who said it was okay to block hospitals?

CTheBigPicture

Leafs Moderator
Staff member
There are two types of PPC lawn signs in my neighbourhood. Some with the candidate's name on them as usual, many with a one line slogan like "Say no to vaccine mandates".

Just for the sake of accuracy....

I drove by these signs again today. They actually say "Say no to vaccine passports". They tend to put a bunch of them together in one intersection vs spreading the signs around.

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

I honestly have no idea.

For whatever reason, it seems like the only time the police aren’t gung-ho to crack skulls and throw people in handcuffs during disruptive protests is when the protesting is being done by the far-right/PPC/mostly-white crowd.

Makes you wonder about how many police are sympathetic to their cause...
The non-response of law enforcement during these white grievance pity parties is the epitome of white privilege. If a group of angry black people were blocking the entrance to a hospital heads would be getting cracked open.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
The non-response of law enforcement during these white grievance pity parties is the epitome of white privilege. If a group of angry black people were blocking the entrance to a hospital heads would be getting cracked open.

They assaulted homeless people with great zeal when clearing out their encampment a month ago, so we know they've got it in them.

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

Trudeau is easily at his best when he's not trying to be nice.
He needs to channel his father's intolerance for willful ignorance and stupidity and start lashing out more. People on the prairies hated Pierre because he basically told them off for being stupid hicks but it didn't lose him any votes in Ontario or Quebec. We need more of this today because these stupid hicks now think of themselves as smart because they can google. They need to be told that elites are a good thing. You want people smarter than you to be running the country, not people as dumb and as ignorant as you.

For me, the sweet spot that public education should be striving for is to teach stupid people to be just smart enough to be self aware as to the limits of their intellect. In other words, I want the stupid to be smart enough to realize that they are stupid, that they know nothing and that they just need to shut the fuck up and do what the fuck they're told by people who can actually walk and chew gum simultaneously.

manny

For me, the sweet spot that public education should be striving for is to teach stupid people to be just smart enough to be self aware as to the limits of their intellect. In other words, I want the stupid to be smart enough to realize that they are stupid, that they know nothing and that they just need to shut the fuck up and do what the fuck they're told by people who can actually walk and chew gum simultaneously.
This lack of self-awareness of one's own limitations applies to everyone. The "intelligent"/educated can be some of the dumbest people you'll ever meet. One of my most ignorant extended family members was the first from his family to get a university degree and so for the rest of his life he just felt he was an expert on everything, ever. The stupidest guy I've personally encountered on an Internet message board regularly boasts about his graduate studies. Seems like expertise in one area makes certain people susceptible to profound ignorance in others. And this phenomenon is part of why the anti-intellectualism and pushback against so-called "elites" has taken root.

If there's a way to teach everyone humility and that the Dunning-Krueger effect applies to them too, things will get better.

lecoqsportif

It’s amusing that people who have completed advanced studies that few others have ever seen think they can opine on other fields that are similarly unattainable for the non-expert. Modern division of labour is the division of knowledge.

Hint: once a person is at grad level in any field, only her peers can really understand what they are looking at. It’s just too much information.