• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

thehabhater

Some call me Tim
Even if they are only outsourcing backlogged surgeries, I can't imagine that Ford's team has negotiated a discount. So, If that is the case, costs per procedure would go up.

Being the 'Smartest Ford Brother" isn't a medal on honor.

hockeylover

Don't see how this isn't going to further weaken the public system so Dougie can justify more privatization.

Real shame.

thehabhater

Some call me Tim
Ballooning personal costs is just the ticket for voters left of center to chase Ford out. Assuming that Liberals can find a leader with charisma.

And frankly, I am too busy for the job..................

Wayward DP

He claims it will all be covered by OHIP. Not sure how those logistics work exactly.
if true, how can this not be a massive financial boondoggle? basically using public health funds to subsidize his buddies in the private health industry.

this topic gets my blood boiling, especially as folks have been dying waiting for care in NS recently.

lecoqsportif

He claims it will all be covered by OHIP. Not sure how those logistics work exactly.

They would bill it like other private providers (like a lot of GPs.)

The issues here, I think, are (1) there needs to be a watchdog to prevent abuse (e.g. “extra fees”) and (2) this will create a mess in an already tight market for nurses, at least in the short-run. I’m sure there are other issues.

I also suspect there hasn’t been much deep thought about unintended consequences.

Edit: Maybe an other issue… in the US, they experienced malinvestment. That is, too much investment in certain diagnostic equipment due to signals obtained via privately insured patients (so not the same as here.) The result was rather ineffective use of $$$ in terms of health outcomes. Maybe it’s another issue.

Last edited:

LeafGm

Yeah, if anyone thinks this is as far as Dougie wants to push privatization of health care, they’re dreaming.

Doug spent most of his adult life as a wealthy amoral white dude living in a major American city (Chicago), so no doubt from his perspective, American health care is the ideal system. That on top of privatization being a way to line the pockets of his cronies.

UWHabs

In theory, I am more open to private provision than private funding. If they start delisting services from OHIP, then I will go mushroom cloud.

In practice, I expect this will be a boondoggle and it smells like a Trojan delisting horse.

Yeah, I feel that the boogie monster of private health care does get overblown in Canada, where any slight increase in private services is the sign of the apocalypse for the system as a whole.

But yeah, I don't think anyone with a straight face will say this is as far as Doug wants to go, and this is only to help delivery of care to people by expanding, or whatever BS they spouted in their presser about it.

anne25

Time will tell how this shakes out. Publicly funded private care in conjunction with the government provided system has not crippled or limited access to health care in much of Europe over many years

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
Time will tell how this shakes out. Publicly funded private care in conjunction with the government provided system has not crippled or limited access to health care in much of Europe over many years

I agree it’s possible to skilfully thread this needle

Do I have any faith this can be done by an administration headed by DoFo?
No. 0/100.