• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

Its getting there eventually I think. The momentum is real this time.

And I'm not convinced the Gardiner needed to go. I think having the cutoff actually kind of works. Makes the harbourfront just feel a little different than the rest of the city.

Golf courses gonna open in Ontario according to rumour!

I’m not really sure if this is a good idea, but I guess I can buy the idea that you can properly physical distance while playing golf.

No physical contact with other players, a lot of physical distance between you & players in other groups, no shared ball or pieces of equipment that multiple people are touching. And it’s played entirely outdoors.

Though shared golf carts could be an issue. And the pin would be getting touched by a lot of different people, unless you leave it in the hole when you’re putting.

You won't be allowed to share a cart, and they have raised holes that mean no one has to touch the pin. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

You won't be allowed to share a cart, and they have raised holes that mean no one has to touch the pin. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

going for my third round tonight

it is much more dangerous walking on the sidewalk than golfing

just use your phone to keep your score

Yeah, if there's any sport that makes sense to re-open, golf would be it. And frankly, I think people need something to do, so I'm okay with that. The real problem would be people who congregate in the clubhouse, and the fact that if they're only running like 1/2 or 1/4 of the people through the course they normally would, it's going to cause frustration and crowded course people waiting to go, especially since it's the only thing open.

Big news in Alberta.

Calgary (and Brooks) are not opening up yet. Rest of Alberta opens tomorrow with Stage 1.

So Alberta (minus Calgary) has been open for a week so far.
Case from that day forward (peak cases was 319)
+50
+58
+72
+57
+39
+33
+19

Right about now is when some of the issues with re-opening should start to take hold.

So it will be interesting to monitor if this starts to creep back up or jumps back up.

Note: Calgary opens Monday.

A week seems pretty early to tell anything especially when three of those days were a long weekend. Incubation period, then people start to develop symptoms, then maybe the symptoms worsen to the point they are hospitalized or seek a test, then delay in test result coming back.

In general though I think it's more restaurants, bars, and schools that concern me, rather than things like golf and opening of retail stores with social distancing. A lot more people have masks now, which is great.

A week seems pretty early to tell anything especially when three of those days were a long weekend. Incubation period, then people start to develop symptoms, then maybe the symptoms worsen to the point they are hospitalized or seek a test, then delay in test result coming back.

In general though I think it's more restaurants, bars, and schools that concern me, rather than things like golf and opening of retail stores with social distancing. A lot more people have masks now, which is great.

Dr. Hinshaw said 7 days

which is why i said START

restos and pubs opened a week ago

golf has been 3 weeks now - and no spike - but golf was never going to spike anything because ppl were still allowed to go for walks (and golf is really just a much more controlled walk)

the time between my brother filling out the form online and his test result was 41 hours

that was for the asymptomatic testing they are doing in calgary

my other brother (sore throat) got his test and result in less than 24 hours

I'm glad to hear Alberta's turnaround time is pretty quick but yeah... I still think there will probably be a bit of a spike a couple weeks after restaurants and pubs reopen. Just seems like common sense to me.

Man, do I ever not miss this motherfucker.

Here we have the former PM claiming that there are no “right of center journalists” in Canada, lamenting the fact that we have no “Fox News” equivalent in Canada, and blaming his election loss in large part on a hopelessly biased super left-wing media that he claims conspired together to give him negative or no coverage:

Seems like he’s still very much on the Republican culture warrior track he appeared to be fully embracing by the time Canadians overwhelmingly came together to give him the boot.

Last edited:
I wonder if Harper is tempted to return. His party has been a complete gong show since he left.

Back