• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

43% of schools have had cases which does feel a bit low and 16% have an active case right now. We're at around 90 cases per day in schools right now in Ontario; none of these numbers make me overly comfortable. And we know that kids are more likely to be asymptomatic. Guess we don't really know how contagious the asymptomatic are but I can't imagine it's much different than the others.. So these kids will be spreading it around to their families and whatnot. If Ontario actually tracked this stuff properly it wouldn't shock me to find out that schools were causing several outbreaks.

Schools may not be the primary culprit but it certainly can't be helping. I agree that the last resort should be to shut them down but I think we're at that stage personally.

Last edited:
There have been some true shitshows at individual school boards (including the one my kids are a part of) but on the whole schools don’t seem to be the problem. For some reason transmission rates are quite low among the little ones.

Other aspects of pandemic management have been very poor, agreed.

It’s because cases are highly concentrated. 80+% of cases in Toronto are in the north east (overlea out to rouge) and north west (keeled and Lawrence up to Jane and Finch)

I don’t think any province is going to shut down schools unless it can be demonstrated that they are a prominent source of spread. I have yet to hear any medical person suggest they close. Actually most of the ones I have heard commen stress the importance of keeping them open.

Outside of the Maritimes I don’t think Ontario’s government is doing any better or any worse at responding to events as they Unfortunately you can’t please everyone. What is beneficial for some segments is devastating for others.

The hospital situation has been a shit show for the past 20-30 years.

Looks pretty close.

Canada is about 38 million.

Ontario is 14.5m, probably almost 14m below that line. 4m for greater Montreal + around 1m NS and the south end of NB.

Reactions: CH1
Our kids’ school seems to have done a pretty good job. Well organized with clear expectations for conduct.

One positive test result - dealt with very quickly (like immediate), transparently and emphatically.

No cases since. We’ll see.

It appears the Maritime bubble has sprung a leak. Newfoundland has introduced a 14 day isolation for anyone entering the province from anywhere including the other Maritme provinces. P.E.I. Is suspending all non-essential travel in and out of the province for two weeks.

It appears the Maritime bubble has sprung a leak. Newfoundland has introduced a 14 day isolation for anyone entering the province from anywhere including the other Maritme provinces. P.E.I. Is suspending all non-essential travel in and out of the province for two weeks.
Pretty sure NFLD has had that policy in place for months. It applied to friends who went there from Ontario in mid-September. Unless they very briefly lifted it and just put it back into place.

Pretty sure NFLD has had that policy in place for months. It applied to friends who went there from Ontario in mid-September. Unless they very briefly lifted it and just put it back into place.
From outside the bubble yes. There was no need for isolation if you were arriving from provinces within the Atlantic bubble.

nah, prior to this if you were entering NL from within the bubble you did not need to isolate.

Back