• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

Here's why Ford has fucked up in a nutshell.

Holders a presser today to announce that he's going to hold another presser next week to announce the covid modelling numbers, which are a "wake up call".

.....the **** are we waiting the fucking weekend for? This isn't a fucking day time drama, we don't need a fucking commercial break to increase the tension. Announce the new measures, put them in fucking place as of now and let's actually fight this thing. Covid isn't taking the weekend off you fucking bell end.
Teasing about the modelling numbers is just beyond unacceptable.

Either they are ready, in which case you release them NOW, or they aren't ready in which case you don't have anything to say about them.

Short of showing the the upward trending of cases, (which we already know is quickly trending upward), what difference does it make if they are publicized today, tomorrow or Tuesday?

Unless people are willing to change their behaviour, and so far I don’t see much indication that they will, I’m not sure what other measures will make much of a difference. Since the current lockdown took effect, all I hear is people complaining that their desired activity or business should be permitted.

In the long run, no matter what he or any other politician mandates it will not be enough for some and will be too much for others.

Note, I’m in a grumpy mood tonight.

I've done some significant work in government. Call it consulting. I was writing a more detailed post about what I've seen but decided against it.

But in general, as you would expect, the government and the public service has neither the culture nor design to be nimble and react quickly. With COVID being the greatest crisis of our time, you would think they would come up with a way to cut through. Tough to teach an old dog new tricks though. And of course, you have to deal with the political theatre which further complicates everything.

I was hopeful that putting former military officers in charge of vaccine rollout would work, as the military certainly has a better reputation for crisis response and logistics (no idea if it's actually true). But that doesn't seem to have helped.

Reactions: CH1
I've done some significant work in government. Call it consulting. I was writing a more detailed post about what I've seen but decided against it.

But in general, as you would expect, the government and the public service has neither the culture nor design to be nimble and react quickly. With COVID being the greatest crisis of our time, you would think they would come up with a way to cut through. Tough to teach an old dog new tricks though. And of course, you have to deal with the political theatre which further complicates everything.

I was hopeful that putting former military officers in charge of vaccine rollout would work, as the military certainly has a better reputation for crisis response and logistics (no idea if it's actually true). But that doesn't seem to have helped.

Rolling up ccacs, which offer on the ground local care, up into lhins, setting the stage for a roll up of the lhins and rolling up a bunch of agencies (some of which independently had the capability to play key roles in covid response broadly and vaccine rollout) has undoubtedly (imo) hurt our response here.

Health historically has had flexibility and agility (at least, more so than other less funded arms of government). But the Fordists pushed through a massive structural change to the system in a very short period of time that was still sorting itself out when covid hit b

I’d be surprised if this didn’t hurt our response, and am curious to see the if they inevitable post Morten commission report hashes that out.

I had been disappointed about the slow roll out of the vaccine but it seems to be improving quickly. Unfortunately just when it started to get rolling the supply of vaccines is drying up.

Yeah we just won't have great supply till around april-may. Not unlike most countries. It is what it is. We're offering to pay more to get them faster though... We'll see how far that goes.

J&J and novavax getting approved will make this shit go a fuckton faster. It's coming soon.

I somehow missed this with all my focus going on the political news from south of the border.

But yesterday, Trudeau called the storming of the Capitol "an assault on democracy by violent rioters, incited by the current President and other politicians." I'm not sure if I've seen any other world leader explicitly lay the blame for the storming of the Capitol at Trump's feet.

tenor.gif

Can't tell from the headline... is O'Toole "outraged" because Sloan has neo-nazi ties (I think this was obvious) or because the Conservative Party of Canada acknowledged it?

O'Toole has his warts but I don't think he is actually that much of a social conservative, unlike Scheer, who clearly very much was so.

but I also think O'Toole is going to continue a long trend of pandering to the lunatic fringe of the CPC, which may ultimately be his undoing.

and fortunately a Trumpist he is not.

Yeah, O'Toole is a moderate who pretended to be a social conservative to win the nomination. He was just vanilla enough to fly under the radar and win over people didn't like "progressive Peter McKay." He'll probably either be the next PM or preside over the next breakup of the conservative party. Sloan was the fringey one. My parents love him.

Honestly, I'm not sure if he's really a moderate. The book on him appears to be "will say the quiet part out loud in the right company" but will furiously back track if he's caught. I struggle with the idea of anyone believing what he believes about residential schools truly being socially moderate outside of when it's politically necessary.

He doesn't have Scheer's religious baggage, but he appears to have at least some socially retrograde bullshit in there as well when you can get him with "polite company" and get him to actually speak his mind.

Back