• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

Attempt to insult my intelligence if it makes you feel better, but your agenda is crystal clear. I was quite obviously, I thought, speaking about your posting in general and not necessarily this specific story.

thanks for telling me governments lie though, I had no idea.

jackass.
Most condescending, full of himself dickbag on here, no doubt.

I do think trying to defend China in this is a weird position to take. China hasn't exactly earned the benefit of the doubt here.

The CPC demonstrating once again that, no matter what issues I have with Trudeau, they’re just not a serious alternative worth my consideration come election time:

So disappointing. “Reality is real.” It’s the lowest bar to clear and they can’t do it.

The CPC demonstrating once again that, no matter what issues I have with Trudeau, they’re just not a serious alternative worth my consideration come election time:

I really want to not feel forced to vote Liberal. But fuck me the Conservatives make it impossible to vote anyone but in a FPTP system. I'd consider NDP just to see some wildly progressive economic shit enacted that would be near impossible to rollback (national child care, vision and dental added to health care, national drug coverage, UBI, etc) but you run the risk of a Conservative government by not supporting the Liberals. We need the PP and Wildrose nutters to just get it over with and fuck so that a national wildrose party can start syphoning off conservative votes. The country is 80-85% centre/centre-left/prog left but we have 3 choices over there. Only one choice if you're centre-right/hard-right with the L's & C's combatting for the centre group. Having a harder right wing group to diffuse the right wing and keep it from being a solid voting block would allow for greater choice. The hard right nutbags know this though. Hopefully being the perennial bridemaid but never the bride for another election cycle or two, mixed with the continuing decline of the oil economy will spur some stupidity in their ranks.

I really want to not feel forced to vote Liberal. But **** me the Conservatives make it impossible to vote anyone but in a FPTP system. I'd consider NDP just to see some wildly progressive economic shit enacted that would be near impossible to rollback (national child care, vision and dental added to health care, national drug coverage, UBI, etc) but you run the risk of a Conservative government by not supporting the Liberals. We need the PP and Wildrose nutters to just get it over with and **** so that a national wildrose party can start syphoning off conservative votes. The country is 80-85% centre/centre-left/prog left but we have 3 choices over there. Only one choice if you're centre-right/hard-right with the L's & C's combatting for the centre group. Having a harder right wing group to diffuse the right wing and keep it from being a solid voting block would allow for greater choice. The hard right nutbags know this though. Hopefully being the perennial bridemaid but never the bride for another election cycle or two, mixed with the continuing decline of the oil economy will spur some stupidity in their ranks.
Another Reform Party-style breakaway is inevitable unless they win in the next election (likely this fall.)

I really want to not feel forced to vote Liberal. But **** me the Conservatives make it impossible to vote anyone but in a FPTP system. I'd consider NDP just to see some wildly progressive economic shit enacted that would be near impossible to rollback (national child care, vision and dental added to health care, national drug coverage, UBI, etc) but you run the risk of a Conservative government by not supporting the Liberals. We need the PP and Wildrose nutters to just get it over with and **** so that a national wildrose party can start syphoning off conservative votes. The country is 80-85% centre/centre-left/prog left but we have 3 choices over there. Only one choice if you're centre-right/hard-right with the L's & C's combatting for the centre group. Having a harder right wing group to diffuse the right wing and keep it from being a solid voting block would allow for greater choice. The hard right nutbags know this though. Hopefully being the perennial bridemaid but never the bride for another election cycle or two, mixed with the continuing decline of the oil economy will spur some stupidity in their ranks.

But you know the NDP are also going to basically shoot themselves in the foot in the campaign. They'll basically try to be centrists and people won't care enough about them to give them a chance. Especially with the CPC as crazy nutters, the NDP is going to think that just being "not Liberals" will work for them.

I mean, I won't vote for them anyways since I'm too far up the Liberal chain, but if the NDP came out basically saying "If the pandemic has taught us anything it's that we 100% need a UBI system, and starting from the day we are elected we will have a system in place that guarantees every Canadian 2000$ a month, plus a true national healthcare system that includes pharma, vision, dental, etc...", I'd give them a ton of credit. Basically, if they can tap the Yang/Bernie sort of group, I think they could become an actual force.

But as I said, you know they're basically going to be like, "Hey, the Liberals have promised a national pharmacare program. Do you know why? Because we asked them to! Vote for us!"

But you know the NDP are also going to basically shoot themselves in the foot in the campaign. They'll basically try to be centrists and people won't care enough about them to give them a chance. Especially with the CPC as crazy nutters, the NDP is going to think that just being "not Liberals" will work for them.

I mean, I won't vote for them anyways since I'm too far up the Liberal chain, but if the NDP came out basically saying "If the pandemic has taught us anything it's that we 100% need a UBI system, and starting from the day we are elected we will have a system in place that guarantees every Canadian 2000$ a month, plus a true national healthcare system that includes pharma, vision, dental, etc...", I'd give them a ton of credit. Basically, if they can tap the Yang/Bernie sort of group, I think they could become an actual force.

But as I said, you know they're basically going to be like, "Hey, the Liberals have promised a national pharmacare program. Do you know why? Because we asked them to! Vote for us!"

Yeah, agreed on all points. Make a progressive economic plan for Canada and speak to that plan. Anytime you get questioned on "zomg, how are we going to pay for that" throw out a 1 liner about why do we never ask how we're going to pay for tax cuts for industry/big business and then speak to the economic benefits of the middle class having more money in their pockets.

Just embrace what you are and speak to it. Keep it to progressive economic arguments and I think they find their base, their voice and peel support from all over the spectrum.

Perhaps the Conservatives should have voted for Leslyn Lewis as their leader. Let her grow into the job. Erin O’Toole is a no-go for many.

Perhaps the Conservatives should have voted for Leslyn Lewis as their leader. Let her grow into the job. Erin O’Toole is a no-go for many.

Am I missing the sarcasm here, or are you serious with this?

Even by the standards of the old Reform Party, Lewis is an extremist social conservative.

Her views on climate change, abortion, drug policy and gay rights (she opposed a ban on conversion therapy ffs) would make her radioactive to the majority of the Canadian electorate.

Am I missing the sarcasm here, or are you serious with this?

Even by the standards of the old Reform Party, Lewis is an extremist social conservative.

Her views on climate change, abortion, drug policy and gay rights (she opposed a ban on conversion therapy ffs) would make her radioactive to the majority of the Canadian electorate.

Yeah, digging through the leadership voting at their last leadership convention gives you a good idea of how many conservative voters have completely retrograde views. Lewis and Sloan were at just over 40% combined on first ballots. That's 40% of conservative voters who want to reopen the abortion "debate", are somewhere on the spectrum of climate denying, are anti gay marriage, etc.

The conservative brain trust likes her enough that despite being radioactive in the scarborough riding she ran in (imagine being a jamaican born female lawyer with a PHD and only getting 27% of the vote in a Scarborough riding???) they're going to parachute her into a rural riding in southern ontario to try to keep her moving upward.

She's a woman, so naturally she'll seem less scary to a lot of people. But yeah, there's a reason why people like Scheer and O'Toole keep winning - there's more hard-liners in the CPC than there are moderates.

Now, they could still be a real threat if they elected someone who was moderate to right. Like Rona Ambrose would have caused some real troubles, since she would probably gather enough respect from the hard right to be acceptable, but is far enough from the Sloan/Lewis side of the party that moderates could accept her.

But yeah, until there's an actual proportional rep nationally, and the hardliners can actually go off by themselves, it's going to be really hard for the CPC to really make more inroads, just because there's enough hard right to prevent almost any reasonable moderate from being able to win a leadership race.

Back