• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

TLDR: Covid is causing mental health issues way more than any lockdown or school closure in itself. The sooner we get the virus under control the better we will all be for it. But no one likes the process that goes along with getting it done.

This.

Lockdowns are not the mental health problem. School closures are not the mental health problem.

Covid ruining the world is the mental health problem. Had we buckled down and beat covid like we should have, all of this drawn out shit that are hurting people would be greatly minimized. That we refused to do what needed to be done, is why we're here right now.

Remote learning has definitely been tough for munchkin # 2. Luckily the consequences at a young age are rather limited. This would be a concern for middle school +.

Remote learning has definitely been tough for munchkin # 2. Luckily the consequences at a young age are rather limited. This would be a concern for middle school +.

17 yr old sister thrived being able to set her own schedules around work needing to be done, etc. Sets her up well for her first year of Uni next year. It's probably not for everyone, but there's a huge percentage of teenagers that do way better away from the distractions the social aspect of highschool brings.

My 8th grader really excelled at remote learning. No drop off whatsoever. In fact she increased. I don’t think it’s that big a deal after the sixth grade.

think it is likely to vary a ton kid to kid. but just like in schools, there isn't going to be a one size fits all solution.

will be interesting to see how this impacts our education system post-pandemic.

Yah the older munchkin has no issues. All good.

The younger munchkin... just too young and wiggly. Material is pretty much now a review. Boredom has set in, real interaction with friends is infrequent and it’s hard to blame a kid in that situation.

Yah the older munchkin has no issues. All good.

The younger munchkin... just too young and wiggly. Material is pretty much now a review. Boredom has set in, real interaction with friends is infrequent and it’s hard to blame a kid in that situation.
The further out from in person learning that my little gets, he worse his listening and his behavior. I totally get it. I also have no idea on how to help him. He desperately needs his peers (as all littles do in kindy) for peer modeling as they help him with so many learning skills. Modeling attention and sitting for learning and playing and turn taking. I can show him but he’s best with kids as I’m sure most are.

Sad state of affairs.

Bernier at 6% is just sucking up votes from the anti-mask/antivaxx crowd. O'Toole doesn't seem far gone enough to try to win those voters, but time will tell. If it's politically advantageous, I have no doubt that he'll go full Trumpist. I had some hopes for Bernier when he was just your average libertarian but he has gone fully anti-science, anti-environment, anti-government in order to gain even a tiny foothold.

Don't even know who Hill is, but the conservative movement looks like it might be splintering again. If he's at all charismatic (unlike O'Toole and Bernier) then his party could well be the official opposition, Preston Manning style. It's genuinely tough to keep a big tent when 1/2 of the people who might even consider entering the tent are full on batshit.

who is Hill?

Looks like it’s Jay Hill, a former Conservative MP who’s the leader of something called the “Maverick Party”.

Had never heard of them before looking them up, but it appears their goal is to be the Western version of the Bloc Québécois.

They’re in favour of “Wexit”, and will only support legislation that’s good for Western Canada.

Appears to be the leader of something called the “Maverick Party”.

Had never heard of them before looking them up, but it appears their goal is to be the Western version of the Bloc Québécois.

They’re in favour of “Wexit”, and will only support legislation that’s good for Western Canada.
in that case, go Hill go! fracture the right further.

Those two top numbers are pretty crazy.

Not sure we've seen 40+% top party choice OR <25% secondary party support in recent memory.

yeah Bernier turned into an idiot but I do like his pledge to break the ridiculous fucking dairy and cheese cartel in this country.... it’s basically a criminal monopoly, and no other nation pays more for cheese than us

yeah Bernier turned into an idiot but I do like his pledge to break the ridiculous fucking dairy and cheese cartel in this country.... it’s basically a criminal monopoly, and no other nation pays more for cheese than us

Yeah, if he had stuck to the old libertarian side of things, then at least that could draw some legit arguments. Basically be the right wing Bernie.

But then he went full on nutter/tinfoil hat, so he's just a joke.

Yeah, if he had stuck to the old libertarian side of things, then at least that could draw some legit arguments. Basically be the right wing Bernie.

But then he went full on nutter/tinfoil hat, so he's just a joke.

exactly... he couldn’t resist the easy Trump votes even though it’s an obvious CUL DE SAC

Those two top numbers are pretty crazy.

Not sure we've seen 40+% top party choice OR <25% secondary party support in recent memory.
I don't think you can conflate preferred PM with voting intention though. No doubt the numbers are not good for Erin the Tool however.

Back