• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

Don't know all the details on this one, but apparently there's been a ton of infighting in the Green Party under the new leader that replaced Elizabeth May. Now one of their three MP's has jumped ship to the Liberals:

Don't know all the details on this one, but apparently there's been a ton of infighting in the Green Party under the new leader that replaced Elizabeth May. Now one of their three MP's has jumped ship to the Liberals:

apparently a lot of it has to do with Israel. Annamie Paul is Jewish and the party masses have a... er... interesting perspective on the conflict.

So, two things stand out for me with this bit of news:

1) Until this law passed, "conversion therapy" was actually still legal in Canada.
2) In the year 2021, somehow there are still 63 Conservative MP's---53% of the CPC caucus---that think it should remain legal.

None of this is really news. Just the numbers and scope are being discovered. The federal governments from the time of Canada’s inception have worked to keep the past hidden in the past. For decades upon decades the feds hav and probably just giving lips service and the occasional “heartfelt” monetary acknowledgement to the treatment dictated by the government and contracted out to not only the Catholic Church but also the Anglican other churches as well as government administered bodies.

This tragedy and omission of dealing with the past should make Canadians constant superiority attitude toward other counties and their treatment and acknowledgment of historical pasts to rest. I doubt that it will though.

None of this is really news. Just the numbers and scope are being discovered. The federal governments from the time of Canada’s inception have worked to keep the past hidden in the past. For decades upon decades the feds hav and probably just giving lips service and the occasional “heartfelt” monetary acknowledgement to the treatment dictated by the government and contracted out to not only the Catholic Church but also the Anglican other churches as well as government administered bodies.

This tragedy and omission of dealing with the past should make Canadians constant superiority attitude toward other counties and their treatment and acknowledgment of historical pasts to rest. I doubt that it will though.

Yeah, I think the general public knew there bad things going on, but not "hundreds of unmarked children's graves at each school" bad. They definitely need some updates to school curriculum - I know personally we barely covered anything related to them.

what i am finding out is that not enough people actually know about this

what i have heard from indigenous friends is the tip of the iceberg stuff and that at least it is validating of what they have been saying for years

i believe it was this same school was operating until 1997 - i was in junior high when that was still open

of course the murder, neglect, and shit conditions were only part of the issue - the attempt to erase an entire culture was disgusting, ripping kids from their families, and trying to cover this all up

Pretty wild that within the last calendar year, the leader of the country’s second largest political party was playing down the negatives of residential schools and defending the people who conceived of them and ran them as people who had “good intentions”.

And then it’s not really like the Liberals have done much either to face up to or uncover this part of our country’s history.

We’ve still got a long way to go.

so I feel kinda dirty saying this but upon reflection I almost think the key to any meaningful action is just having white people care more about Indigenous issues. until that happens unsure the politicians will be motivated to take much in the way of tangible action. pretty fucked though

Back