• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

LOL so Ontario's budget deficit came in like $20 billion LESS than expected this year.

Quite literally seems as though Doug's plan is to simply pocket as much federal funding as he can. I am unclear what comes next but I assume he then redirects it to pet projects, uses it to gain political capital, etc.

But pretty appalling to have billions of dollars unspent while the province struggles to deal with a fucking worldwide pandemic and small businesses are closing their doors left, right, and centre in no small part due to the incompetence of Dougie's own government.

Yep, I think we called that.

They’re crossing their fingers that they can do pretty much nothing to manage the pandemic going forward, and that things will somehow turn out OK.

Then they quietly pocket the pandemic funds the Feds gave them, and trumpet their fiscal responsibility leading up to the next election.

LOL so Ontario's budget deficit came in like $20 billion LESS than expected this year.

Quite literally seems as though Doug's plan is to simply pocket as much federal funding as he can. I am unclear what comes next but I assume he then redirects it to pet projects, uses it to gain political capital, etc.

But pretty appalling to have billions of dollars unspent while the province struggles to deal with a fucking worldwide pandemic and small businesses are closing their doors left, right, and centre in no small part due to the incompetence of Dougie's own government.

It's fucking gross.

I honestly don't know how spending is even a criticism during a pandemic at all really.

the federal government pretty much kept the entire fucking economy afloat for several months by spending like drunken sailors.

and these bozos are pinching pennies while the province and small businesses get ravaged by the pandemic. and then have the audacity to fucking complain about the feds? fuck right off.

I'm indignant and I don't even fucking live in Ontario anymore!

also Dougie is going to get re-elected and it makes me angry and sad.

although I must say Tim Houston is about as inoffensive a conservative as they come. he has already doubled funding to the municipalities (election promise) and extended a pilot that provides virtual family doctors to any Scotian who does not have one (wait list of near 100,000).

My child is going mostl without EA support because our school is only issued 2.5 full time EAs for 400 kids. It’s appalling.

If Doug loses it’ll be via own goal — which is possible. 75% of the population couldn’t name the other candidates

I think there’s at least an outside possibly that the Liberals might beat Ford simply by virtue of not being the Ontario NDP, and not being a party lead by Doug Ford.

Though the Libs definitely fucked up by picking a milquetoast, no-name for their leader who has the stink of having been an MPP under both McGuinty & Wynne, and having been a Wynne cabinet minister.

Should have started fresh.

Unfortunately del duca looks like a child molester.

Even then, though, Ontario is sick of Doug's shit.

I assume it must have been the only way the Americans would drop the extradition order for (whatever her name is) and let her head back to China.

I think there’s at least an outside possibly that the Liberals might beat Ford simply by virtue of not being the Ontario NDP, and not being a party lead by Doug Ford.

Though the Libs definitely fucked up by picking a milquetoast, no-name for their leader who has the stink of having been an MPP under both McGuinty & Wynne, and having been a Wynne cabinet minister.

Should have started fresh.
Yeah, wven going with someone like Coteau would have been a big breath of fresh air for them. Instead they picked the most establishment candidate possible

I thought they’d keep them hostage for a while longer at least. Almost more brazen this way.

Not that they give a shit, but the cynicism of all this almost undermines the hardball facade. It was purely transactional, which could be spun as a sign of limited means. They literally have no other way to conduct business? That’s how you paint yourself into a corner…

Still playing the victim, to the bitter end:

...now, I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt. And you've also got the acknowledge that it must be incredibly difficult breaking into the Canadian federal leaders club when even up to this point, it's almost exclusively been a Christian-caucasian sausage-fest.

But no matter what her positive attributes may have been, she seemed to have piss-poor political instincts, leadership skills, and no capacity whatsoever to accept any personal blame.

The Green Party also needs to figure out what, exactly, is the point of their continued existence, now that every other major party offers some variety of plan that promises to tackle climate change. Being a one-issue or one-person party won't work anymore (especially with the PPC also around to compete for protest votes), and I'm not sure that trying to run left of the NDP is a viable path forward for them either.

Back