• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

One Year Ago Today

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I was checking my phone for the Caps score every 15 seconds after Nino scored. So I knew before they flashed it on the scoreboard. Many tears were shed that night.

NoMich

Yep, me too. Won't ever forget a night like that when 10 years of sports frustration washed away in the course of a single night. I went with a buddy and I sez to him, I sez, "Peter, ol' fella, I got a good feeling about this game. We're winning 5-3. Book it!" Which was weird because I otherwise always have a craptastic feeling about Hurricanes games.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Keeping with the One Year Ago remembrance, Greg McKegg...I mean Brock McGinn sends the Canes to the 2nd round.

NoMich

We had no business winning that game after being down 2-0 and then 3-1. The hater in me wants to gloat that this was an epic meltdown by the Caps, but really, the Canes got their shit together, worked their asses off, scored three workman like goals (I will call JStaal's goal a highlight reel goal), and found their sisu. And Brock McGinn. What more can be said about his save and game-winning goal? Mr Johnny on the Spot there, hey?

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
We had no business winning that game after being down 2-0 and then 3-1. The hater in me wants to gloat that this was an epic meltdown by the Caps, but really, the Canes got their shit together, worked their asses off, scored three workman like goals (I will call JStaal's goal a highlight reel goal), and found their sisu. And Brock McGinn. What more can be said about his save and game-winning goal? Mr Johnny on the Spot there, hey?
I don't think it has to be one or the other. Washington DID break when all they had to do was ride out that game. And Carolina DID mount a remarkable resurrection act after they got down 3-1 to an opponent with a LOT more offensive firepower and big game experience.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it has to be one or the other. Washington DID break when all they had to do was ride out that game. And Carolina DID mount a remarkable resurrection act after they got down 3-1 to an opponent with a LOT more offensive firepower and big game experience.
Holtby could not have played Staal’s goal any worse. Olczyk had it right on the commentary, that’s an inexcusable goal from outside the dots.

Once we got to OT, I felt like it would take a lucky goal, or a goal against the run of play for the Caps to win. The difference in conditioning was brutally obvious.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Holtby could not have played Staal’s goal any worse. Olczyk had it right on the commentary, that’s an inexcusable goal from outside the dots.

Once we got to OT, I felt like it would take a lucky goal, or a goal against the run of play for the Caps to win. The difference in conditioning was brutally obvious.
Exactly ... Washington blew it (or Holtby did, but I think it was a collective effort) AND Carolina snatched the W. I agree that conditioning played a big role, but that often gets magnified by the general tide of the game. It's easier to look fresh when you're out there buzzing and generating chances than when you're struggling to lug the puck out of your D zone for long stretches.

cmaleski2

A game 7 playoff goal from that spot is kind of a Staal family tradition. Jordan was what, less than 5 feet away from the same spot on the ice that Eric Staal scored that Game 7 winner against the Devils in 2009? Both scored stick side.