• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

The reason IRS audits more people making <30K than they do millionaires is that wealthy folks have lawyers who can beat the audit or keep it grounded for years

There's also like a thousand times more people making <30k than there are making >1M, so obviously there's going to be more audits.

I know the US is different, but I know in canada, a large portion of audits actually help the recipients. Just because someone is "audited" doesn't mean that they're suddenly going to owe an extra 10k on their return. And probably the biggest reason why those with middle incomes don't get audited is because if you work a normal office job, your taxes take like 15 minutes to do on quicktax, and there's not really a lot to screw up. The people who make more are probably paying an accountant to find them more loopholes in the rules, so again, less likely to be caught by a standard audit check, although obviously a portion of them over the years will go through an audit to make sure.

But the poor people, and those who are probably dealing with a bunch of different welfare-type claims, those are the people who are going to get audited the most, since a lot of them simply will have trouble following along with the complicated rules, and so will get trapped in audits.

I read that the CRA will start preparing people's taxes next year -- they already have all the info like earnings/deductions/rrsp contributions, so they can easily send you a prepared tax form that you can approve/edit/add some info to.

The only reason it's not being done (here or in the US) is the massive lobby efforts by the tax software companies.

I read that the CRA will start preparing people's taxes next year -- they already have all the info like earnings/deductions/rrsp contributions, so they can easily send you a prepared tax form that you can approve/edit/add some info to.

The only reason it's not being done (here or in the US) is the massive lobby efforts by the tax software companies.

Yep, other than some basic deductions, CRA already knows all your RRSP and T-slip info now. Other than the tax lobby, no reason they can't basically give you a pre-filled form for a big chunk of the population.

Yep, other than some basic deductions, CRA already knows all your RRSP and T-slip info now. Other than the tax lobby, no reason they can't basically give you a pre-filled form for a big chunk of the population.

govt is spying on me!!!!!

I mean you can pretend both sides are doing this, but over and over again Republicans don’t want people (especially of colour) to vote

You know, I wasn’t going to engage with this bullshit anymore but this is just more #freepass bullshit. How the fuck is this a Republican thing and not a bothsides issue when individual counties are run by one of both parties, while Florida voted Democrat governors in for well over 100 years before 1999. But sure, this is the GOP only. This issue is the fucking epitome of both sides. It’s been going on for over 40 years for Christ sake.

Fuck off with this shit. Biased, the whole fucking lot of you.

#freepass

See you in a week. Maybe a month. Who the fuck knows or even cares anymore. Such bs crap.

Back