• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Never was a Rolex fan. Overrated garbage. Patek Philippe >.

Hublot too

Everyday watch - Breitling.

Never was a Rolex fan. Overrated garbage. Patek Philippe >.

Hublot too

Everyday watch - Breitling.

Nah, Rolex makes great kit, don't let the way too successful marketing blind you to that. Great build quality, timeless designs, fantastic finishing.

Hublot's build quality has gone to shit, as has Breitling's (as soon as you start putting off the shelf eta movements in "luxury" watches, fuck you). Neither is doing in house movement development anymore. I don't say that happily at all, I'm a huge stan for the Navitimer design. Most of the more popular of the mid tier luxury brands (where I'd place Rolex) have gone to shit on the quality front. Breguet, Rolex, Omega ,Nardin,Glashutte, JLC, IWC are the tits in that category. Avoid Hublot, Breitling, Tag (Monaco is an exception...just too gorgeous and it uses their own movement, not the eta's like most of their stuff has), Panerai, Muller.

Holy trinity is obviously a solid step up on that group with Lange somewhere in between imo. If you want the finishing quality of a Patek (better in a lot of cases) with half the price tag, Lange is the way. A Datograph has been my grail watch for a while now.

Nah, Rolex makes great kit, don't let the way too successful marketing blind you to that. Great build quality, timeless designs, fantastic finishing.

Hublot's build quality has gone to shit, as has Breitling's (as soon as you start putting off the shelf eta movements in "luxury" watches, **** you). Neither is doing in house movement development anymore. I don't say that happily at all, I'm a huge stan for the Navitimer design. Most of the more popular of the mid tier luxury brands (where I'd place Rolex) have gone to shit on the quality front. Breguet, Rolex, Omega ,Nardin,Glashutte, JLC, IWC are the tits in that category. Avoid Hublot, Breitling, Tag (Monaco is an exception...just too gorgeous and it uses their own movement, not the eta's like most of their stuff has), Panerai, Muller.

Holy trinity is obviously a solid step up on that group with Lange somewhere in between imo. If you want the finishing quality of a Patek (better in a lot of cases) with half the price tag, Lange is the way. A Datograph has been my grail watch for a while now.
Why would you say avoid Tag?

I didn’t see any mention of Baume.

And IWC makes some beautiful ones but crazy expensive.

Why would you say avoid Tag?

I didn’t see any mention of Baume.

And IWC makes some beautiful ones but crazy expensive.

Tag started putting ETA 2824's in a lot of their stuff about 10 years ago. Which is a fine movement, but it's an off the shelf swiss auto, which has it's place (it's a solid movement, cheapish, easy to service) but that place isn't in a watch with a 8-10K price tag. You can get an Oris (or a handful of others) with the same ETA movement in it for half or less the price. If it's not a precious metal watch, or the finishing isn't really good, where exactly is the rest of the money spend going?

yeah, I didn't mention Baume, I like Baume but they're a tier down from the group I named imo (which isn't a bad thing. I'd put them in the bag with Oris, Sinn, Nomos, Longines, Tudor and a bunch of others). The name I forgot from that group was Zenith though, Zenith has some top of the food chain movements in that group.

IWC is just flat out awesome, worth every penny from a quality standpoint.

I never got into watches; just another jewelry fashion item. But I can respect the fandom. I know shit about them -- but was exposed to the subculture after reading a pretty funny novel called Lake Success.

Barry, the main character, is an obsessive collector, and he is perpetually showing off his collection while judging the timepieces worn by those around him. The list of watches mentioned is extensive and thorough, and it is no surprise that Shteyngart shares his character’s obsession; his knowledge is evident in his writing.

https://madelinewatches.wordpress.com/2018/11/04/all-the-watches-mentioned-in-lake-success/

Hublot's build quality has gone to shit, as has Breitling's (as soon as you start putting off the shelf eta movements in "luxury" watches, **** you). Neither is doing in house movement development anymore. I don't say that happily at all, I'm a huge stan for the Navitimer design. Most of the more popular of the mid tier luxury brands (where I'd place Rolex) have gone to shit on the quality front. Breguet, Rolex, Omega ,Nardin,Glashutte, JLC, IWC are the tits in that category. Avoid Hublot, Breitling, Tag (Monaco is an exception...just too gorgeous and it uses their own movement, not the eta's like most of their stuff has), Panerai, Muller.

I'll disagree as I've owned several. Hublot big bang circa 2010 is a great watch.

My everyday Breitling super navigator is a beast.

Patek philippe is the standard imo.

Tag started putting ETA 2824's in a lot of their stuff about 10 years ago. Which is a fine movement, but it's an off the shelf swiss auto, which has it's place (it's a solid movement, cheapish, easy to service) but that place isn't in a watch with a 8-10K price tag. You can get an Oris (or a handful of others) with the same ETA movement in it for half or less the price. If it's not a precious metal watch, or the finishing isn't really good, where exactly is the rest of the money spend going?

yeah, I didn't mention Baume, I like Baume but they're a tier down from the group I named imo (which isn't a bad thing. I'd put them in the bag with Oris, Sinn, Nomos, Longines, Tudor and a bunch of others). The name I forgot from that group was Zenith though, Zenith has some top of the food chain movements in that group.

Thoughts on the Fitbit Versa 2?

The only tag I own is the tiger woods tag. Wearing a watch while golfing destroys the movements. This one was built for golf.

I also have a chronoswiss regulateur that I absolutely love.

I'll disagree as I've owned several. Hublot big bang circa 2010 is a great watch.

My everyday Breitling super navigator is a beast.

Patek philippe is the standard imo.
The case and design on the big bang is revolutionary, no arguments, but unless you were rocking one from the first few years with the Valjoux movement, it was touched up ETA. Which is fine, ETA makes good solid movements, but like I said above, not my cup of tea in a watch at that ~20K price point. Not when Rolex is putting superior in house movements into "just" a submariner for 5-10K less.

Breitling is in the same boat for me. Great designs, great cases, but I have a hard time getting past the extra expense for watches using the same engine (or lesser) as what I have in my watchbox for 30% the MSRP of a Big Bang.

Patek is next level, agreed. If you want to spend 10 minutes of your life that you'll never get back, but feel like it was entirely well spent...watch this:

Thoughts on the Fitbit Versa 2?

you joke, lol, but I own one. The only digital I own. It's not bad actually. I don't use it nearly enough. Got it for airmiles and figured I would use it to track my steps when I was out doing landscape photography last summer.

you joke, lol, but I own one. The only digital I own. It's not bad actually. I don't use it nearly enough. Got it for airmiles and figured I would use it to track my steps when I was out doing landscape photography last summer.
That's what I wear. I have a few different bands so I can be fancy and shit.

While I was unemployed I was doing 16k+ steps a day. Now that I'm working again I don't get nearly enough. Come spring I will at least shoot for 10k+.

I think Tag and Baume are great watches. They don’t necessarily come with those hefty price tags, but they have some of the best looking and also quality pieces out there among what I’d call the more casual collections.

IWC is a beaut. The pretty ones are pricey.

I think Tag and Baume are great watches. They don’t necessarily come with those hefty price tags, but they have some of the best looking and also quality pieces out there among what I’d call the more casual collections.

IWC is a beaut. The pretty ones are pricey.

Yeah, I dig Baume. They started moving towards an in house movement a few years ago. I'm not sure how good it is, but they're owned by Richemont group (Lange, Vacheron) so I'd expect it to be pretty solid. That's a real watchmaker owned by very serious watchmakers. That's where I lose the plot on Tag personally. Owned by a fashion brand congolomerate and have been slowly moving away from doing much of anything in house other than design.

Back