• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

Preston

The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust
J&J, though not yet approved, say they can provide 20m doses to the US by the end of March. Enough for 20 million people. They originally promised 100m by the end of June and original estimates were far lower for March due to a production issue, so they appear to be ahead of schedule.

Canada better be lining up deals to obtain the excess that the US will have likely by May or June. Also hurry up and approve novavax and j&j.

trujaysfan

Said it to my friends this morning when they sent though an article talking about each health unit being responsible for the rollout... ford and the govt need someone else to yell at and blame once the vaccines are available here.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Said it to my friends this morning when they sent though an article talking about each health unit being responsible for the rollout... ford and the govt need someone else to yell at and blame once the vaccines are available here.

Nobody is going to buy it. It's on Dougie. Modern conservatism is entirely about governing poorly and screaming about how useless government is and that's Dougie's game too. That was his & his brother's entire schtick while on city council.

His polling on covid is already heading towards the toilet. 51% recently agreed that Dougie has been "negligent" at managing Long Term Care, and they're right. The only thing saving him from worse numbers regarding LTC is that the for-profit LTC sector is massively unpopular and siphoning off a fair bit of the hatred.

If they bottle the vaccine roll out, no one is going to give a **** that he blames the regions, it's going to be on him. 1 term Premier, thank ****.

Wayward DP

Nobody is going to buy it. It's on Dougie. Modern conservatism is entirely about governing poorly and screaming about how useless government is and that's Dougie's game too. That was his & his brother's entire schtick while on city council.

His polling on covid is already heading towards the toilet. 51% recently agreed that Dougie has been "negligent" at managing Long Term Care, and they're right. The only thing saving him from worse numbers regarding LTC is that the for-profit LTC sector is massively unpopular and siphoning off a fair bit of the hatred.

If they bottle the vaccine roll out, no one is going to give a **** that he blames the regions, it's going to be on him. 1 term Premier, thank ****.
I know this is only anecdotal, but I have been overwhelmed recently with both how deferent people seem to be towards politicians, and how unwilling they are to criticize them. For context, I'm in Nova Scotia, and most of my family is in Ontario.

From my perspective, Dougie has been downright negligent on a whole host of matters. And while my family are no fans of Doug, they seem to throw less blame his way than me (I mean maybe I'm just extremely anti-Doug, who knows).

And then we have my friends in Newfoundland, one of whom works in healthcare, who got extremely offended when my wife sent them an article critical of a single aspect of NL's pandemic response, on the basis that CBC opinion writers in Ontario have no leg to stand on in discussing anything NL (this one is more NL pride). and hilariously enough, they both told me how much they hate the premier, Furey, but neither took any issue with his pandemic response, and claim to be certain that the Chief Public Health Officer is actually the one running the show rather than the politician (with no evidence in support of this premise, but I digress).

so long story short, why are Canadians so willing to give their political leaders the benefit of the doubt when our country's covid response has been, overall, objectively poor?

trujaysfan

I know this is only anecdotal, but I have been overwhelmed recently with both how deferent people seem to be towards politicians, and how unwilling they are to criticize them. For context, I'm in Nova Scotia, and most of my family is in Ontario.

From my perspective, Dougie has been downright negligent on a whole host of matters. And while my family are no fans of Doug, they seem to throw less blame his way than me (I mean maybe I'm just extremely anti-Doug, who knows).

And then we have my friends in Newfoundland, one of whom works in healthcare, who got extremely offended when my wife sent them an article critical of a single aspect of NL's pandemic response, on the basis that CBC opinion writers in Ontario have no leg to stand on in discussing anything NL (this one is more NL pride). and hilariously enough, they both told me how much they hate the premier, Furey, but neither took any issue with his pandemic response, and claim to be certain that the Chief Public Health Officer is actually the one running the show rather than the politician (with no evidence in support of this premise, but I digress).

so long story short, why are Canadians so willing to give their political leaders the benefit of the doubt when our country's covid response has been, overall, objectively poor?
Because we are becoming like the US and no matter what stupid thing the party we vote for does or says we defend them and rip on the others. You can be conservative and think ford is in over his head and not built to lead during a pandemic but very few like thinking critically.

Preston

Trudeau apparently begging Biden to lift restrictions that would allow us to import Pfizer vaccines from Michigan. I'm sure that won't go over well but hey it's worth a shot! Get 'em JT!

Preston

This is what happens when the variant eventually takes over. Hopefully we can out-vaccinate this mother fucker because the vaccines do work against it. But as it gets closer and closer to 100% of the cases it becomes a mother fucker to contain. Mitigation efforts that curb the spread of the old strain just won't be enough. This is why medical professionals are baffled at reopening this early since we seem to just not have the vaccine supply to beat it like the US likely has.

WellPlayed

It's like they're a bunch of college freshman pulling an all nighter cramming for an exam.

The biggest public health and economic crisis in 100 years, and they're "furiously" trying to finish an online booking platform, that they've known they'll need for a year.

WellPlayed

You can open an online store in a single day and take orders from around the world, but the Ontario government can't build an appointment booking website in a fucking year.