• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

Preston

The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust

That's a lot of product. So Ontario alone is getting 2.04m doses next week and 2.5m doses the week after. We can do well over 200,000 doses per day these next 2 weeks. Approaching 300,000 even. We really need to ramp up to keep up with this supply. I'm guessing we won't and I'm guessing we have a hard time going through the Moderna product, but man. We're going to be stocked to the asshole.

LeafGm

Once again AZers boned for their sacrifice.

I was pretty annoyed at the time that I was just a few years below the cut-off to be eligible for AZ. But now I consider myself pretty lucky.

If I’d been eligible, I probably would’ve been one of the poor bastards who rushed out to get it. Instead, seems pretty likely that I might be able to get my 2nd dose of Pfizer before this weekend is out.

Preston

They really should just lower the fucking interval for AZers and offer them Moderna. We're going to be fucking swimming in product and there's no longer a scientific reason for the interval if they're getting mrna for dose #2. There haven't been studies conducted on interval length when opting for the mix and match. What are we doing?

SundinsTooth

Leafs Moderator
You can get a sense of how tight this race is by what is happening in Waterloo Region.
25% increase in case count in a week as we lag about one week behind the provincial average in one shots.

Scary how quickly things can go south right now. TL/DR hurry up

1623351118623.png

worm

I was pretty annoyed at the time that I was just a few years below the cut-off to be eligible for AZ. But now I consider myself pretty lucky.

If I’d been eligible, I probably would’ve been one of the poor bastards who rushed out to get it. Instead, seems pretty likely that I might be able to get my 2nd dose of Pfizer before this weekend is out.
same
i was 1 year off and everybody i knew was getting the vax - had vax envy

but now team moderna 4 life

Reactions: CH1

trujaysfan

I could be wrong I think York region was one of targeted hot spot areas for accelerated shots. Considering the supply issue Ottawa claims to have had 70% is pretty good.

More vaccines are becoming available especially if you are willing or able to travel out to the burbs plus spend lots of time shopping around but even those doses are snatched up pretty quickly.

I’ve been able to move my 2nd dose from late to early July. If nerd be I’m content with that. My husband hasn’t had any luck moving his yet but he’s usually out biking instead of working the internet. For now of us are really too interested in travelling to the burbs. My daughter likely will be much more pro active when she becomes eligible because of her health issues and now that she’s back at work.

Well off to get my daily exercise. I’ll miss the nice quiet city streets once things businesses start to open.
Did you call place i posted here for ottawa?

Preston

same
i was 1 year off and everybody i knew was getting the vax - had vax envy

but now team moderna 4 life
Have to admit, I'm pretty proud of Moderna for stepping it up. Despite the criticisms, they have ramped up every single month from the beginning of the program. And this current ramp-up is like nothing we've ever seen. Alberta has it right by using Moderna and Pfizer interchangeably. It's going to be a tough sell for the Pfizer gang to opt for Moderna for dose #2 in Ontario I think. But if we want to finish up by mid-July (assuming Moderna continues their big dick deliveries in July, we actually can), it depends on a lot of Pfizer folks taking Moderna for dose #2.

We need education. THEY ARE ALMOST THE SAME PRODUCTS!!!

manny

It’s true that this is the first time ever anyone could probably name the manufacturer of their vaccine.

E.g. flu vaccines in Canada are mostly made by GlaxoSmithKline and Sanofi. Had never even considered that relevant in the past.

trujaysfan

Have to admit, I'm pretty proud of Moderna for stepping it up. Despite the criticisms, they have ramped up every single month from the beginning of the program. And this current ramp-up is like nothing we've ever seen. Alberta has it right by using Moderna and Pfizer interchangeably. It's going to be a tough sell for the Pfizer gang to opt for Moderna for dose #2 in Ontario I think. But if we want to finish up by mid-July (assuming Moderna continues their big dick deliveries in July, we actually can), it depends on a lot of Pfizer folks taking Moderna for dose #2.

Easiest way is to remove the vaccine manufacturer from the site lists and allow either to be given.

Preston

Easiest way is to remove the vaccine manufacturer from the site lists and allow either to be given.
We do that and if Moderna gives us another 5-7m in the first half of July it's time for 24-7 clinics across the province and we can blitz our way through everyone really quickly. And then that's it. We're done. Fully supplied for over 10m people in the province to be fully vaccinated by mid-July.

Wayward DP

I will happily take a Moderna for dose two as soon as I can! #phonypony

Preston

ehhhh I remain skeptical that we avoid a fourth wave. but hope I am wrong.
Targeted vaccination to beat Delta + maintaining the restrictions we'll have starting tomorrow and I'm confident we will be more than fine especially due to seasonality which has come at a convenient time. The UK situation sucks and I can't help but feel it's largely because of a couple of factors:

1. Schools. We know kids are getting hit hard there. They're all unvaccinated (the country is only just starting to tackle 25+ year olds) and even removed their indoor mask policy, only to revert back recently. They get hit and spread the shit to everyone including the partially and fully vaccinated.

2. Hate to kick the AZers while they're down but AZ has 60% effectiveness against Delta compared to ~88% for Pfizer. That's a big big difference, especially when it comes to transmission benefits, which there is a clearcut case for on mRNA vaccines; not as much evidence with AZ. Prevents severe disease really really well, though. Canada is almost entirely using mRNA. Maybe 5% will be on AZ compared to 65-75% in the UK. That has to make a huge difference and I don't think we have to vaccinate as many people as them to see results.

Oh and the other factor is that Delta takes up 80+% of their cases. We're still at around 20%. By the time it gets to UK levels we'll be fully vaxxed up in Ontario I think. We're keeping Delta flat for now and there may be a small rise/mini wave but we can vaccinate our way out of this.

Wayward DP

Targeted vaccination to beat Delta + maintaining the restrictions we'll have starting tomorrow and I'm confident we will be more than fine especially due to seasonality which has come at a convenient time. The UK situation sucks and I can't help but feel it's largely because of a couple of factors:

1. Schools. We know kids are getting hit hard there. They're all unvaccinated (the country is only just starting to tackle 25+ year olds) and even removed their indoor mask policy, only to revert back recently. They get hit and spread the shit to everyone including the partially and fully vaccinated.

2. Hate to kick the AZers while they're down but AZ has 60% effectiveness against Delta compared to ~88% for Pfizer. That's a big big difference, especially when it comes to transmission benefits, which there is a clearcut case for on mRNA vaccines; not as much evidence with AZ. Prevents severe disease really really well, though. Canada is almost entirely using mRNA. Maybe 5% will be on AZ compared to 65-75% in the UK. That has to make a huge difference and I don't think we have to vaccinate as many people as them to see results.

Oh and the other factor is that Delta takes up 80+% of their cases. We're still at around 20%. By the time it gets to UK levels we'll be fully vaxxed up in Ontario I think. We're keeping Delta flat for now and there may be a small rise/mini wave but we can vaccinate our way out of this.
it's the bolded that I'm worried about.

the AZ difference is valid for sure.

and I guess I'm just expecting Delta to run train sooner than we get enough immunity. and for everyone to race to undo restrictions before there is enough vax coverage /low enough spread. prepare for the worst I suppose. but you've got a pretty good track record here so I am willing to acknowledge some mild optimism.

UWHabs

and I guess I'm just expecting Delta to run train sooner than we get enough immunity. and for everyone to race to undo restrictions before there is enough vax coverage /low enough spread. prepare for the worst I suppose. but you've got a pretty good track record here so I am willing to acknowledge some mild optimism.

Plus you're going to have AB running wild, so we're bound to get a bunch of variant spread and then continue to spread that around. Indoor dining resumes today, and we're inching towards the 2 week countdown when all restrictions are lifted. Needs 70% of eligible people with one dose, we're at just over 68 today. Then the question is when we're back to a festering wasteland, how much if any of that will spread to ON or BC or any other provinces.

anne25

Did you call place i posted here for ottawa?

Thanks for the heads-up, but no I didn’t call. If I was still going to aqua fit in Orleans I certainly would have. As I said I’m content for now.
At present hubby definitely wouldn’t make the half hour (or more- depending on construction) drive. He has an appt. at City Hall for the third week of July. We both have our name on Shoppers and Rexall vaccine lists. to be notified if something opens up in our area. I also have my name in with one of the independent pharmacies in the area.

I do appreciate you taking the time to pass on that info.

Preston

Seasonality helps. As does having a fuckton of vaccines. It's still a race and all but we as a province/country are in the drivers seat. Which, as you said, maybe not the best case for optimism. We suck at driving. But we've got good weather, a fuckton of vaccines available, schools closed on our side. I wouldn't put it past us to fuck up but for once I like our odds. With each passing day that cases continue to drop I feel better and better about it!

And the Ontario Science Table has a pretty damn good track record. I trust them more than myself.

Wayward DP

Seasonality helps. As does having a fuckton of vaccines. It's still a race and all but we as a province/country are in the drivers seat. Which, as you said, maybe not the best case for optimism. We suck at driving. But we've got good weather, a fuckton of vaccines available, schools closed on our side. I wouldn't put it past us to **** up but for once I like our odds. With each passing day that cases continue to drop I feel better and better about it!

And the Ontario Science Table has a pretty damn good track record. I trust them more than myself.
I mean part of this is just me managing my own expectations if I am being honest.

I had begun accepting that the Maritimes would avoid a third wave and then whammy.

Had booked a canoe trip assuming things would be open by then and then another whammy.

But I agree that the Science Table gives reason for cautious optimism as they've been pretty bang on throughout.

Half of me also expects us to discover a new VOC that has been circulating widely at some point in the next couple months.

But the biggest thing is I absolutely do not trust politicians to have the requisite patience required (see: Kenney, Jason). And this is what concerns me most. That and people either just being fed up/covid fatigued, or saying 'I have one dose of vaccine so fuck it'.