• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

Preston

AKA: Preston Fauci. Prestauci.
Waning was always gonna be a thing! I'm just glad it isn't worse than that and most importantly the t-cells are likely going to do work for years, maybe decades to protect from severe disease. Covid will still be miserable if caught for many and it may take weeks or months to recover but not dying or being hospitalized at the same rate is a game changer!

Would be curious to see long covid data for those vaxxed. Has to be a decrease there but I wonder how much.

Preston

(But I will say this probably supports 6 month boosters at least for the elderly! After that we regroup and see how much it extends! Learning on the fly!)

UWHabs

(But I will say this probably supports 6 month boosters at least for the elderly! After that we regroup and see how much it extends! Learning on the fly!)

Yeah, maybe it's the sort of thing you need 3 shots relatively close together, but then you're good for the next 5 years. Or maybe we simply always need to repeat every 6 months. Heck, the regular flu shot is still annual, and so far infection rates are still somewhat seasonal, so bundling a booster with your annual flu shot likely ends up as the easy decision.

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
Interesting piece in The New Yorker on our ability to co-exist with COVID over the long term
https://www.newyorker.com/science/annals-of-medicine/coexisting-with-the-coronavirus

What will it be like to live with endemic sars-CoV-2? That depends on the strength of our immune memories. How vividly will our bodies remember the virus or vaccine? How will waning immunity and the rise of variants—such as Delta, which is currently driving a spike in covid cases around the world—affect our vulnerability to reinfection? We’re beginning to learn the answers to some of these questions, and to get a sense of the years to come.

TL DR
Stop fretting about your 3rd line centre and read the friggin article

Preston

I'm happy letting Israel, the US and the UK figure that shit out since they were way ahead of us. Canada is in an awesome spot.

UK has tried to let it rip. Valiant strategy. Brave as shit. But obviously has failed as we've seen exponential growth across all ages and vax status in hospitalizations. Now Israel is seeing immunity wane with protection from severe cases likely holding up. Next move is likely boosters but for who? Will it offer even better protection than it did after two shots? Some believe it may! And how long will immunity from that last? Stay tuned!

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
As our collective immune resistance grows, however, covid will shift from a pandemic to an endemic threat. The virus will continue to circulate at low levels, but its spread will be slower, and most infections will be less severe. It may primarily infect unvaccinated children—who often have asymptomatic infections and almost never develop severe symptoms—and cause occasional mild infections in vaccinated adults. Certain groups, such as the elderly and the immunocompromised, will still be at higher risk for severe complications; the vulnerable may die of covid-19 the way they die of influenza and pneumonia today. But the risks will be lower for individuals who have some immune resistance. For most of us, covid will become a familiar foe, like the flu—one of the background hazards of daily life.

UWHabs

I'm happy letting Israel, the US and the UK figure that shit out since they were way ahead of us. Canada is in an awesome spot.

UK has tried to let it rip. Valiant strategy. Brave as shit. But obviously has failed as we've seen exponential growth across all ages and vax status in hospitalizations. Now Israel is seeing immunity wane with protection from severe cases likely holding up. Next move is likely boosters but for who? Will it offer even better protection than it did after two shots? Some believe it may! And how long will immunity from that last? Stay tuned!

AB has given up trying to fight it and knock on wood, so far it hasn't exploded back up the same way it has in the UK or the US. We still have to see how that holds out, and I'd definitely be really curious to see why exactly so far things are fine here while it has been a gong show elsewhere.

Preston

Yeah eradication is a wet dream. The only question most nerds have is how long it takes to get to the point where it becomes a mild flu-like illness like other coronaviruses. Could take a year, could take decades.

Wayward DP

I hope I'm wrong, but I am confident that September is gonna be a bit of a bloodbath once schools reopen. Which realistically means mid-September/October is when case numbers will start creeping back up, with a potential lockdown #4 in October/November.

But hope I'm wrong!

Preston

AB has given up trying to fight it and knock on wood, so far it hasn't exploded back up the same way it has in the UK or the US. We still have to see how that holds out, and I'd definitely be really curious to see why exactly so far things are fine here while it has been a gong show elsewhere.
I think we're starting to learn that fresh immunity is the best kind of immunity. We all got vaccinated in the same two month span here in Canada so we're crushing it. If we maintained these immunity levels long-term we'd be in a great spot but it pretty clearly wanes. Which is fine. Anyone under 40 or 50 who is relatively healthy is likely fine as fuck even if they catch it. The elderly and high risk groups will unfortunately always be at risk.

Preston

I hope I'm wrong, but I am confident that September is gonna be a bit of a bloodbath once schools reopen. Which realistically means mid-September/October is when case numbers will start creeping back up, with a potential lockdown #4 in October/November.

But hope I'm wrong!
However bad it becomes it won't ever be as bad as the last wave we had pre-vax. Maybe in cases but not with severe illness! So there's that! The question I have is whether we put in place restrictions or just go full UK and "do it live."

I do feel uncomfortable with putting kids at risk tho. This whole long covid thing is freaky and while it's likely rare for those under 12, it still happens. And it fucking sucks. Hopefully we take some steps to make things relatively safe.

Preston

Anyway my brother had to travel to New York for work and just came back a few days ago. Did his tests and whatnot when he returned and all clear...

Symptoms came fast for him and are textbook covid. Got tested, no results yet but I mean the dude can't smell or taste anything. His oxygen levels are low enough that he went to the hospital not long ago.

Double vaxxed with moderna with his second dose in mid-June. He's 37. Bleh.

Wayward DP

Anyway my brother had to travel to New York for work and just came back a few days ago. Did his tests and whatnot when he returned and all clear...

Symptoms came fast for him and are textbook covid. Got tested, no results yet but I mean the dude can't smell or taste anything. His oxygen levels are low enough that he went to the hospital not long ago.

Double vaxxed with moderna with his second dose in mid-June. He's 37. Bleh.
hope he's alright. kinda scary that he has those symptoms while fully vaxxed. suspect delta...

Preston

hope he's alright. kinda scary that he has those symptoms while fully vaxxed. suspect delta...
It's all anecdotal but I've heard enough of these stories that I'd rather try to avoid catching it again. I'm sure he'll be fine but even when fully vaxxed for many the illness appears to still be flu on steroids. I feel like I'd get it worse than last time. I used up my free pass already.

Preston

you've been triple vaxxed, no? 1 shot of covid + 2 shots of vax
Yeah. Odds are good that it would be mild if I catch it. Natural immunity kinda stinks tho especially after a year + with a new variant. Tldr: I'm playing it like I'm double vaxxed. I'm a bitch ass diva when I'm actually sick