• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

Frontenac provincial park, near Kingston, is good for hiking and backcountry camping. If you can handle some cooler weather, they're open (but can't be booked in advance) between March 8 and April 30.
yeah Frontenac is awesome. super easy to do a short hike in, spend a day or two, and then be back out. I wouldn't recommend paddling Frontenac but its great for entry level hiking and the campsites are nice and well maintained.

for accessible paddling, we did a trip to the Massassauga that was pleasant. just expect to see lots of cottages and private land. gorgeous lakes though.

Nice, I hadn't heard much about Frontenac - I'll check it out.

Ya Massassauga looks good for cannoeing and a bit different than Algonquin, which is nice. Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park looks great for paddling but tough to justify the extra hassle of a more off-the-grid interior park when I've done like 2% of Algonquin.

For hiking, I'm dying to do the Killarney La Cloche trail as well as the Coastal Trail on Lake Superior once I have a few more reps under my belt. Then maybe on to Newfoundland... the Long Range Traverse looks amazing.

yeah Frontenac is awesome. super easy to do a short hike in, spend a day or two, and then be back out. I wouldn't recommend paddling Frontenac but its great for entry level hiking and the campsites are nice and well maintained.
You live in NS, right? Have you hiked Chignecto? That's my favourite spot for a 3 or 4 day trip and I try to get out there at least every couple of years. Amazing views, camp on the beach, good hiking, very low traffic.

once spring hits everything should be fine

we can all go biking, gardening, golfing, BBQs, etc as we wait for the vaccine to come in

As people are waiting for vaccines, I think there's still going to be some heavy hesitancy to do any activities with randoms or groups. But once we get to the bulk of people having gotten that first dose, that should get things a lot more open and able to get back to a normal.

What happens once the second shots come will be very interesting, though. Some things will still be here to stay, but I do wonder if people are going to go crazy, or will suddenly realize that no, maybe they don't want to spend an evening packed into a club or a bar, and actually don't mind doing some outdoor winter walks.

As people are waiting for vaccines, I think there's still going to be some heavy hesitancy to do any activities with randoms or groups. But once we get to the bulk of people having gotten that first dose, that should get things a lot more open and able to get back to a normal.

What happens once the second shots come will be very interesting, though. Some things will still be here to stay, but I do wonder if people are going to go crazy, or will suddenly realize that no, maybe they don't want to spend an evening packed into a club or a bar, and actually don't mind doing some outdoor winter walks.
ya it will be gradual at first but once spring hits people should be in better moods and be able to get together outside - just like last summer
and as summer goes on and more ppl get the vaccine you will start to see things return to normalish

btw i am planning on having christmas in july - outdoor BBQ instead of indoor stuff but i am thinking it will be okay by then

to me the "what happens" will be in the fall - school back in, cold forces us indoors, etc - so what do ppl do
i am guessing the bar kids will not really care too much about crowds though

You live in NS, right? Have you hiked Chignecto? That's my favourite spot for a 3 or 4 day trip and I try to get out there at least every couple of years. Amazing views, camp on the beach, good hiking, very low traffic.
I have hiked Chignecto multiple times :D

Best trail in the province for my money. Prefer doing it in four days but goes comfortably in three.

The Long Range Traverse is next on my hit list once I am allowed back in NL...

and WellPlayed, are you referring to Pukaskwa NP on the shores of Superior? That has been on my tick list for a few years, but fuck the logistics make it challenging (especially from NS...)

.. it's easy. You fly into Thunder Bay, rent a car, meet BG for a beer, and drive to Pukaskwa. A beautiful 3 hour(ish) drive along the rugged northern shores of Superior.

I have hiked Chignecto multiple times :D

Best trail in the province for my money. Prefer doing it in four days but goes comfortably in three.

The Long Range Traverse is next on my hit list once I am allowed back in NL...

and WellPlayed, are you referring to Pukaskwa NP on the shores of Superior? That has been on my tick list for a few years, but **** the logistics make it challenging (especially from NS...)

Ya, Pukaskwa. Looks awesome. There's a few areas of Ontario I wish I had discovered earlier. Doesn't look like Ontario, although I guess up there its a completely different world. In a lot of places if you headed that far in one direction, you'd be in a different country.

Sounds like I'm going to have to put Chignecto on my list. Have you done Killarney?

Then there's international places I keep adding while on regular trips. The Napali Coast on Kauai is probably the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Only way to access it is by boat or hike. I did an intense in-and-back day hike, but I swore I would go back and hike the whole trail for a few nights someday, sleep on the beach.

Also the Scottish highlands. People had tents setup on the top of mountains overlooking some of the most amazing scenery I've ever seen.

have not done Killarney yet but am keen to. when I lived in ON I almost exclusively paddled.

Chignecto is worth a trip but pales in comparison to any place with actual mountains :p Although perhaps I take it somewhat for granted having it (and Fundy) in my backyard.

was supposed to do the North Coast Trail in BC with the wife a few years back but concussed myself and had to postpone - I am very keen to get back there if it is ever again possible...

Folks.

This conversation belongs in the extremely active Travel Thread. This thread is for doom and gloom news about us never getting our lives back. Thank you.

You know, a thread about nothing specific. Just post things that you don't think anyone, anywhere should worry about.

I'll start

ERzd7wlU8AAk00z

So yeah, don't worry about this. What aren't you worried about?
Looking back at the beginning of this thread is both eerie and hilarious.

Folks.

This conversation belongs in the extremely active Travel Thread. This thread is for doom and gloom news about us never getting our lives back. Thank you.

Yeah, Covid thread should have more in common with the TV thread, not the travel thread.

I already got kicked out from that. Took me a month or so to get the boot. They realized I didn't do anything

Looking back at the beginning of this thread is both eerie and hilarious.

It's kind of crazy to look back on things. I mean, I remember last March, my parents were planning a big seniors hiking trip to England and were just in final steps of sending payments. There were a couple people in their group who were hesitant, and we were practically laughing them off, thinking what possible likelihood could there be of getting caught in an outbreak, or having flights cancelled, or anything like that?

For AB

all adults in the province will receive their first dose by the end of June, the health minister says.

For AB

all adults in the province will receive their first dose by the end of June, the health minister says.
I've been debating whether to stay in AB until my turn, or head back to ON at some point. The way things are going, seems like an obvious choice.

Back