• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

I mean I fully expect we'll have a variant outbreak at some point and have to shut things down for another month... but until then, I'm gonna enjoy our current covid normal and be grateful for my compliant Maritime neighbours. although... if we can make it through another month or two of mass vaccination...
You guys will probably be fine. I'm looking at early June where things start turning around and we'll have 18-22 million with at least 1 dose, which is probably everyone till kids are approved. Hopefully July is when cases start to slowly fall with mortality/severe cases decreasing sharply and then in August we're all Israeli aka the virus is still around and we still need to be careful but life is great and better than last summer.

The nice part about being where you guys are is that you're starting clean. Israel was vaccinating like crazy during a surge that we've never seen here before. So it might be even quicker for you (though the amount of people with natural immunity there is pathetic which won't help... POINT ONTARIO!!!).

I mean I fully expect we'll have a variant outbreak at some point and have to shut things down for another month... but until then, I'm gonna enjoy our current covid normal and be grateful for my compliant Maritime neighbours. although... if we can make it through another month or two of mass vaccination...
nah it is over for you

unless there is a giant spike happening right now you beat it

You guys will probably be fine. I'm looking at early June where things start turning around and we'll have 18-22 million with at least 1 dose, which is probably everyone till kids are approved. Hopefully July is when cases start to slowly fall with mortality/severe cases decreasing sharply and then in August we're all Israeli aka the virus is still around and we still need to be careful but life is great and better than last summer.

The nice part about being where you guys are is that you're starting clean. Israel was vaccinating like crazy during a surge that we've never seen here before. So it might be even quicker for you.
this is an under promise

this is an under promise
When the starting point for transmission is as high as we're at right now that thing is going to keep spreading whether you're vaccinated or not. We saw that in Israel. They struggled for a long time to get their cases down but they did see hospitalizations/deaths decrease well before cases did. I HOPE our 1 dose strategy will be enough to at least see results for severe cases by early June when over half the country will have had at least 1 dose. Don't think that's an under-promise.

Only the UK has deployed a similar 1-dose strategy as us and they had a longgggg strict lockdown that got cases and deaths down big time. It's tough to compare since they intervened using other methods so how much of it was the lockdown and how much of it was vaccines? For severity of cases it's likely vaccines but total case count? Tough to know for sure. Seems like 1 dose doesn't do a great job preventing transmission based on data.

nah it is over for you

unless there is a giant spike happening right now you beat it
back in November we had our 'second wave' outbreak. that from what I gather started when an irresponsible Ontarian travelled here, failed to isolate, and then went out drinking (back when this was a thing). within a week or two we had hundreds of cases is my recollection, and exposure notices at most bars downtown.

Newfoundland in early 2021 had a variant cluster and quickly had 500 cases and shutdown for like two months (the Newfs take their own approach though).

so all this to say while I hope you are right, it does not take much for us to shut back down

back in November we had our 'second wave' outbreak. that from what I gather started when an irresponsible Ontarian travelled here, failed to isolate, and then went out drinking (back when this was a thing). within a week or two we had hundreds of cases is my recollection, and exposure notices at most bars downtown.

Newfoundland in early 2021 had a variant cluster and quickly had 500 cases and shutdown for like two months (the Newfs take their own approach though).

so all this to say while I hope you are right, it does not take much for us to shut back down
vaccines and summer

i think you dodged the third wave

It seems like you guys take more swift, decisive action on "embers" which stamps them out and allows you guys to go back to semi-normal feeling activities. Must be nice.

I think that's what's led to so much frustration here. Starts with a month of warnings based on modelling, Doug gets on the TV says "please folks, stop being yahoos" but does nothing, then does one small measure, then a week later a bigger measure, then so on until finally covid is outta control AND the restrictions are tight.

Had a tempting job offer in Halifax in late 2019, but the timing didn't seem right so I turned it down.

Dumb.

vaccines and summer

i think you dodged the third wave
*fingers crossed*

honestly if we make it another 2-4 weeks without an outbreak, I will start feeling a lot better.

I'm also cognizant of how many upper canadians fly into our bubble on a daily basis. only takes one bozo who fails to isolate to ruin it for all of us with the variants now. but yeah, hopefully in the home stretch of the 'limbo' phase.

Speaking of frustration, I have friends in NYC, Beantown, Miami...and they're lives are 80-90% back. It's really obvious when we zoom as they all look fresh, clean and summery, while I'm still sporting my Castaway quarantine look.

It seems like you guys take more swift, decisive action on "embers" which stamps them out and allows you guys to go back to semi-normal feeling activities. Must be nice.

I think that's what's led to so much frustration here. Starts with a month of warnings based on modelling, Doug gets on the TV says "please folks, stop being yahoos" but does nothing, then does one small measure, then a week later a bigger measure, then so on until finally covid is outta control AND the restrictions are tight.
yeah, you nailed it. part of the calculus, I think, is that our capacity to deal with an influx of infections is a lot lower than other provinces due to our tiny ICU capacity.

we accepted increased 'short-term pain' for long-term gain. Ontario has never inflicted enough short-term pain for there to be any long-term benefit. so instead, you get short-term annoyances that just last for-fucking-ever, or something along those lines.

*fingers crossed*

honestly if we make it another 2-4 weeks without an outbreak, I will start feeling a lot better.

I'm also cognizant of how many upper canadians fly into our bubble on a daily basis. only takes one bozo who fails to isolate to ruin it for all of us with the variants now. but yeah, hopefully in the home stretch of the 'limbo' phase.
I'll be there once I'm fully vaccinated. Prior infection + 2 doses of vaccine? I'm safe, I'm promise.

if i did this right

Deathsper
AB200145.8
BC148929.4
ON744351.1
MB94268.8
SK44337.7
QC10701126.1

looks like quebec is really fucking bad (as expected), BC is okay, the rest are bad.
Deathper
AB200145.8
BC148929.4
ON744351.1
MB94268.8
SK44337.7
QC10701126.1
NS666.8
NFLD61.2

while you're enjoying your stay at home order, I was out with the pup at the park this morning, on the ocean, breathing in the sweet salty sea air. then I went to drop of my car at the shop to swap my tires. walked home, worked a bit, went to pick up my car, then stopped by our favourite local bakery, and drove to my office. had a quick client meeting (picking up their settlement cheque). and now I'm just in my office enjoying a cupcake one of my colleagues either purchased or made.

once that's done though, back to staring at the wall.
"Sweet salty sea air". That's some solid prose.

Back