• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

Holding strong. Non B117 variants don't seem to be causing too much damage yet. So far I'm with @worm on it being a solid ass summer. We'll be where Israel currently is by July or August.

setting new records

Labs completed 42,167 tests for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and logged a provincewide positivity rate of 10.3 per cent, a new single-day high since Ontario started reporting the measure in April 2020.

Presto bathing in the evidence

tenor.gif

Nerds have been beating this drum for a long ass time. I have no fucking idea what we're waiting for.

suspect it comes down to $$$$$

as an example, NL has been sitting on tons and tons of rapid tests that they still are seemingly refusing to deploy. for no discernible reason other than... cost and resources? I dunno.

suspect it comes down to $$$$$

as an example, NL has been sitting on tons and tons of rapid tests that they still are seemingly refusing to deploy. for no discernible reason other than... cost and resources? I dunno.
I agree but it's shortsighted! Having a raging pandemic with cases out of control and killing off a good portion of your population is more costly!!! There are some really really cheap testing units available. Not sure which ones Canada has available but it's actually pretty cost effective compared to dealing with a virus that doesn't stop terrorizing the masses. The at-home tests in particular are the cheap ones and they're verrrrry good at testing specifically for infectiousness. which is actually more important than simply finding positives.

Nerds have done cost-benefits analysis of using them extensively and it isn't close. It's worth it.

Last edited:

Yup. If evidence says that 1 dose for those 60 or 70+ aren't doing the trick we should probably circle back on the delay strategy. Older folks are still taking up 85-90% of the deaths in Ontario these days. Are we looking at the data? How many have had 1 dose?

I agree but it's shortsighted! Having a raging pandemic with cases out of control and killing off a good portion of your population is more costly!!! There are some really really cheap testing units available. Not sure which ones Canada has available but it's actually pretty cost effective compared to dealing with a virus that doesn't stop terrorizing the masses. The at-home tests in particular are the cheap ones and they're verrrrry good at testing specifically for infectiousness. which is actually more important than simply finding positives.

Nerds have done cost-benefits analysis of using them extensively and it isn't close. It's worth it.
oh I fully agree with you. but I suspect that is the biggest reason rapid tests have not been used more widely.

also keep in mind the employees you have to pay to administer the tests, the space you need to rent to conduct them etc.

governments are likely skimping on necessary public health measures and the results sadly speak for themselves. the full post-mortems will be very interesting.

Back