• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

Alberta, the summer after fresh vaccination when you've got a solid 80% uptake is supposed to be the easy part. What a disaster (that was entirely predicted by many of us back in June when they released the reopening plan).

Uh oh. My real estate agent's kid got covid at school and I've been seeing the agent daily for the last few days (MASKED). He is fully vaxxed but has received a positive test result this morning. Let's see how the vaccine + mask situation works for ol' Presto.
dr presto getting covid twice

so he could do his own research

Wondering if WHO is more concerned about getting the world vaccinated than booster shots - or is the supply chain able to keep up with both demands?

what is covid doing to the under developed world? are they getting vaccines? are they all dead?
Tbh the US, Israel and the UK are some of the worst with cases. There's more of a buffer there since fewer will result in hospitalizations so they're happy to let the virus rip, which will result in more cases than most countries, but similar hospitalizations/deaths; it's all about ICU capacity and whatnot. Other countries don't have that luxury so they need to maintain stricter restrictions so their hospitals aren't overrun!

i.e. if the hospitalizations/case percentage = 10% for unvaxxed folks and 5% for vaxxed folks and 5% ICU for unvaxxed vs 2.5% for vaxxed, you can afford to have double the amount of cases without your hospitals/ICU being overrun. Winters are a different story tho when you've got the flu circulating as well and generally busier hospitals in a normal year. It'll have to managed with a certain level of restrictions to stay in place to keep R0 as low as possible while sacrificing as little as possible of life.

TLDR: Behavior drives cases, hospitalizations, deaths, etc. and it will continue being the case for awhile yet!

Last edited:
Wondering if WHO is more concerned about getting the world vaccinated than booster shots - or is the supply chain able to keep up with both demands?
The WHO has been actively aggressively scolding the countries who are proceeding with boosters. They are not happy.

Booster drama is riveting

My understanding of the "no booster" argument is that they feel the doses would be better/more morally used in poor countries. There's some pragmatic logic in that as well, as if there is a final final boss coming, it will come out of an under vaccinated location (whether by choice, or lack of access doesn't matter to the virus), and not that the data suggests anything other than boosters being spectacular for immune response.

Back