• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Helene

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Everyone OK? She sure was a bitch. It was interesting watching the traffic camera on Falls of Neuse to see if the cloud that was forming was going to drop. We had about 30-35 minutes of a tornado warning yesterday afternoon as Doppler was tracking a cell that developed at the Beltline and headed north between Falls of Neuse and Six Forks.

The dam at Lake Lure is in imminent danger of failure. And I-40 is washed out at the Tennessee border.

20 minutes of very heavy rain and some wind at my Holly Springs house was the worst of it. There was a tornado warning here around 10:45AM this morning but I believe that ended up not resulting in a funnel on the ground. Otherwise from what I have been hearing, normal flooding in areas near me that are prone to it (near Bass Lake).

I think this storm was supposed to be worse WEST of us? Sounds like it if I40 at Tennessee is washed out. I haven't been checking the news.

--edit-- I just did check the news, pretty terrible in western NC.

I think it's only going to get worse for WNC and ETN because the storm is supposed to loop back onto itself. Are they still predicting that?

We're supposed to be up in Asheville for a wedding this weekend, but right now the west and south sides of town are basically all flooded and almost no one has power. We're in wait and see mode, as basically everything is a giant mess.

I think it's only going to get worse for WNC and ETN because the storm is supposed to loop back onto itself. Are they still predicting that?
The thing has gotten so disorganized that you can probably say basically anything at this point. The weather service isn't calling for anymore serious rainfall in WNC as of right now, but that center wall could still do virtually anything and it's moving very fast. Most likely it's gonna keeping blowing to the north. I've lived in the Southeast forever and I'm not sure I can remember a hurricane moving this rapidly once it got this far inland. This thing's a weird beast.

Last edited:
I mean, aren't people showing up in the mountains this weekend just kind of getting in the way and adding to the clustereff that is happening right now?

My daughter’s place in Boone got flooded. I was in chemo all day and when I got home I had a small tree down in the back yard. Other than that just wet.

I know someone who was supposed to be spending the weekend in the mountains. I think they're wasting gas.
Depending on where they're going, it's gonna be tough sledding. There are road closures in and around both Boone and Asheville and pretty much everywhere in between. Some of that stuff will get sorted tomorrow, but not all of it.

I don't get the mindset of thinking you're still going up for the weekend getaway. Just seems like a dick move to me, but I ain't them.

I agree. You go up and all you're doing is adding more cars on less roads. Just stay home or go to the beach.

Haven't heard from son and daughter in law since power went out in Asheville, which is without water, power and cell service. Reports of catastrophic devastation are popping up everywhere, with whole stretches of towns/buildings in western NC virtually washed away. Most of this is going unreported, because of the difficulty in finding a cell signal and in getting around.

I agree. You go up and all you're doing is adding more cars on less roads. Just stay home or go to the beach.
This. People who live and work in those areas need to be able to get around. If you don't have to be there, all you're doing is adding one more car to an already overloaded secondary road system ... in an area without water and power and with limited cell phone service, that you're also taxing for no good reason. Just don't.

Haven't heard from son and daughter in law since power went out in Asheville, which is without water, power and cell service. Reports of catastrophic devastation are popping up everywhere, with whole stretches of towns/buildings in western NC virtually washed away. Most of this is going unreported, because of the difficulty in finding a cell signal and in getting around.
We heard from our crew in AVL this morning. Some cell service is starting to be restored, but texting works better than the phone. The wedding my son came in for is cancelled but basically the whole wedding party is stuck there without power and water service. The downtown hotels are packed but most everything else downtown is shuttered and people can't get in to work. The airport is open though and apparently there's more than one open route to drive there so my son's group will be flying out tomorrow.

Really nasty up there. I grew up in Hendersonville and my mom and brother are still there. Lots of flooding and no power.

Back