• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

JackBurton

He never really made it as big as he should have because his audience was his fellow comics. They all knew he was a genius. The average person never really quite grasped him or his style but he played to his peers and the people he respected.

Still upset that the studio butchered dirty work, his big movie. The original was apparently clearly a rated R movie but they edited the fuck out of it after it was shot, with no reshoots, so it could be more family friendly. Still an awesome movie but I would love to see the uncut version.
I heard Chevy Chase say on Howard Stern the only reason he did the movie was because of 1 brilliant joke in the script, and then they edited it out of the film LOL Norm definitely should have been bigger. He was ahead of his time and didn't do anything to try to cater to the masses.

LeafOfFaith

He never really made it as big as he should have because his audience was his fellow comics. They all knew he was a genius. The average person never really quite grasped him or his style but he played to his peers and the people he respected.

Still upset that the studio butchered dirty work, his big movie. The original was apparently clearly a rated R movie but they edited the fuck out of it after it was shot, with no reshoots, so it could be more family friendly. Still an awesome movie but I would love to see the uncut version.
Doubt this gets reported and thus I could be a total liar, but the new project I was referring to was the sequel. Already written, with an offer coming in to finance it. It was happening. I just heard that literally nobody in his life other than his son knew about his illness, not even as of yesterday. One of these enigmatic, private kind of guys who was loved by his peers and distanced from the rest.

Preston

AKA: Preston Fauci. Prestauci.
I heard Chevy Chase say on Howard Stern the only reason he did the movie was because of 1 brilliant joke in the script, and then they edited it out of the film LOL Norm definitely should have been bigger. He was ahead of his time and didn't do anything to try to cater to the masses.
Yeah at the time you weren't gonna make much money on R rated comedies so the studio really didn't want that. Of course norm never gave a fuck about making money. Dude blew everything he had gambling anyway. He just wanted to be funny.

LeafOfFaith

Yeah at the time you weren't gonna make much money on R rated comedies so the studio really didn't want that. Of course norm never gave a fuck about making money. Dude blew everything he had gambling anyway. He just wanted to be funny.
Interesting that you mention that. That was what they were saying on the call earlier, but I hadn't heard that before. How did you know, did he talk about it publicly??

Preston

Interesting that you mention that. That was what they were saying on the call earlier, but I hadn't heard that before. How did you know, did he talk about it publicly??
He's infamous for his compulsive gambling in the comedian circle. But Stern has got it out of him that he lost everything he had in at least one point in his life. Him and Artie used to talk about their gambling quite a bit on the stern show.

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.

I stopped following him on Twitter because his feed would often turn to:

Jets now 2nd and 7 at the 40
Jets get called for holding
great catch! Now 3rd and 5
Damn. Incomplete pass. Punt coming up.

JackBurton

That's the thing i'lll always respect about him. Being funny was so important to him. Jay Leno went from being a brilliant comedian to completely selling-out. Norm could have done much bigger things if he had. Heck, everyone else would have canned the OJ jokes after getting threatened on SNL

CH1

His brother Neil said Macdonald died Tuesday in Los Angeles from leukemia, which he was diagnosed with "a long time ago."

"He kept it quiet because he didn't want it to affect his comedy," said Neil, a former parliamentary and foreign correspondent for CBC News, by phone from Los Angeles.

"He didn't want it to affect the way he was perceived … He wanted to carry on. He took great pains to conceal it from everybody but family. Cancer's a roller-coaster. We hoped that he would live longer than he did, but it took a turn for the worst last month, and he went into hospital and never came out."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/norm-macdonald-dies-1.6175474

LeafOfFaith

That's the thing i'lll always respect about him. Being funny was so important to him. Jay Leno went from being a brilliant comedian to completely selling-out. Norm could have done much bigger things if he had. Heck, everyone else would have canned the OJ jokes after getting threatened on SNL
Frankly, I never "got" Leno. To me, he was just a safe corporate choice. I also didn't really like Letterman, funny enough, because I don't find his quirky schtick all that amusing. I think Carson (before my time, but still see videos) was my kind of guy, and of the contemporaries, I think Conan was far and away the best, but they crushed his soul with the Tonight Show clawback and he didn't have a chance buried on TBS. I do think Kimmel and Fallon are both watchable, but I don't love either too much. I think Seth Meyers is vomit-inducing and James Corden similarly nauseating.

TLDR - Carson/Conan >> Kimmel/Fallon/Letterman >> Leno >> Watching dogshit decompose >> Meyers/Corden

LeafOfFaith

His brother Neil said Macdonald died Tuesday in Los Angeles from leukemia, which he was diagnosed with "a long time ago."

"He kept it quiet because he didn't want it to affect his comedy," said Neil, a former parliamentary and foreign correspondent for CBC News, by phone from Los Angeles.

"He didn't want it to affect the way he was perceived … He wanted to carry on. He took great pains to conceal it from everybody but family. Cancer's a roller-coaster. We hoped that he would live longer than he did, but it took a turn for the worst last month, and he went into hospital and never came out."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/norm-macdonald-dies-1.6175474
Sad as fuck. I don't know how they kept it a secret if he was in the hospital the past month or two.

Preston

Frankly, I never "got" Leno. To me, he was just a safe corporate choice. I also didn't really like Letterman, funny enough, because I don't find his quirky schtick all that amusing. I think Carson (before my time, but still see videos) was my kind of guy, and of the contemporaries, I think Conan was far and away the best, but they crushed his soul with the Tonight Show clawback and he didn't have a chance buried on TBS. I do think Kimmel and Fallon are both watchable, but I don't love either too much. I think Seth Meyers is vomit-inducing and James Corden similarly nauseating.

TLDR - Carson/Conan >> Kimmel/Fallon/Letterman >> Leno >> Watching dogshit decompose >> Meyers/Corden
Leno was a hack but in fairness he was a decent standup before he sold out to do safe hacky comedy on his show. Being a hack sells. Being Norm unfortunately didn't sell.

Reactions: CH1

CH1

Yeah. I hated Jay as a late night host but he was a solid standup prior. Caught him once live during his prime and it was like a Bruce Springsteen concert -- he just kept going and going.

Conan and Letterman were my guys but honestly Jay was the smarter business decision because his sensibility was better for the boomer heavy demographic that watched TV at the time.

LeafOfFaith

A guy like Leno today would be done before he even made it on stage. I don't think his appeal is the kind that stands the test of time, and I don't think anyone will ever look back on his run on the Tonight Show with any sort of fondness. He was right place, right time, all the way.

But I'm falling victim to the whole millennial attention span thing, I'm finding. Like I just can't watch a full episode of Kimmel or Fallon, just too much dead time in between. Anything worth seeing probably goes viral or shows up on a feed, so it just feels like a waste of time to tune in.

Although, apparently late night and day time (soaps, game shows) are the biggest profit centers for the networks, more than prime time. I just don't know who wants to watch these guys anymore.

Leafyblue

When Leno used to be a guest on the old Letterman show, it was gold. I think most of these guys hung around too long. Dave the last 10 years pretty much phoned it in. The only guy who was "on" every night was Conan. He's still great. His podcast is a lot of fun. Craig Ferguson was great for 5 years, then did 5 years of not wanting to be there. Funny though. Norm made all of their shows better. (y)