• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

WellPlayed

The slow, and then rapid, decline of that show is still so disappointing. I almost wish I had never started watching.

Habsy

Yes, I'm kidding people.
Staff member
I watched it a few months ago in its entirely over the span of a month and it is glaringly noticeable when you do it that way.

worm

season 1: 10/10
- i just love the season soooo much - introduction to all these amazing characters
- neds death is amazing, the direwolves!, fucking joffrey getting his assed kicked by arya, all of the imp scenes - especially jon snow and tyrion
- the only season where Dany is part of a good story
- that opening scene had me hooked - and jaime pushing bran out the window

season 2: 8/10
- renly, stannis and the new characters (onion knight, brienne, mellesandre) are good
- theon returning home was decent, north of the wall was great
- tyrion as the hand!
- battle of blackwater was great

season 3: 10/10
- red wedding - all the build up, all the connection - pretty much 3 seasons to get to this point - boom

season 4: 10/10
- purple wedding - fuck joffrey was soooo good/bad
- imp trial

season 5: 8/10
- ramsay/reek/sansa
- night king
- shame
- for the watch (jon dies)

season 6: 7/10
- hold the door
- jon is jesus
- battle of the bastards

season 7: 6/10
- blue dragon eye
- looks to go for cool impacts and away from cool characters and stories

season 8: 5/10
- still love arya killing the night king
- but all the clues and stuff build in the first 5 seasons falls flat - jon being targ doesnt matter, dany building up to be a queen of the people very quickly turns to okay fine i will murder all the innocents, bran as king, jaime goes back to a heel i guess

LeafGm

only 4? weren't the last 2 the only shit ones?

mind you, I've only given it the one time through.

This classic meme pretty accurately portrays it, IMO:

Jaime & Bronn's madcap adventures in Dorne, and the whole Dorne storyline in general, was really the first time the quality of the show took a very noticeable nosedive. And that was season five.

After there it was steadily and rapidly downhill, aside from the very end of season six.

worm

This classic meme pretty accurately portrays it, IMO:

Jaime & Bronn's madcap adventures in Dorne, and the whole Dorne storyline in general, was really the first time the quality of the show took a very noticeable nosedive. And that was season five.

After there it was steadily and rapidly downhill, aside from the very end of season six.
bingo

worm

Arya killing the night king like that was pure Fonz surfing in his leather jacket after all the buildup.

arya killing the night king was the right thing - how she actually did it - dropping the knife and using her other hand was amazing - but bran and theon in the woods, etc was pretty lame

aryastan though

Artnes

It gives me hope that they have source material for the new show. No idea who the writers are but GRRM should have learned from the debacle of the final 2 seasons to not let something like that happen again. Completely sewered what should have been the one of best show of all time

LeafOfFaith

arya killing the night king was the right thing - how she actually did it - dropping the knife and using her other hand was amazing - but bran and theon in the woods, etc was pretty lame

aryastan though
OMG so bad. I get and love the whole fake out thing when it comes to deaths on the show - that stuff was great.

But as predictable as it was and had to be, Jon had to kill the Night King. Jon not killing the Night King but instead peeing himself in corners of the castle while dragons yelled at him was not the payoff I was hoping for.

Meanwhile, 4 foot 2 stabby mcstabs comes out of nowhere to take down a millennia old invincible goblin with one thrust on her first try. All that amazing training she barely got really paid off!

Volcanologist

part of it for me is that my days of slogging through thousand page fantasy epics are basically behind me.

so I don't have the perspective of the book comparison for this one, unlike to name a few examples Dune, or the Foundation TV series, or when the LOTR films came out, material with which I am quite familiar with from when I did spend the time on it.