• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

Habspatrol

Administrator
Staff member
fair
was hard to tell because outside of oasis none of them were funny
I'm still giggling about the Bruce one.

"The first time I ever heard em, I must have been about 15, and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' comes on the radio and I pulled over to a payphone and called my girlfriend, didn't even wait for her to pick up, I was like 'have you ever heard of this band The Beatles?'"

Habspatrol

Administrator
Staff member
Even Ringo had a respectable solo career, albeit nothing as prolific as the other three. But he married Barbara Bach so he's the big winner in my books.
It's insane how a four man band could have 2 absolute elite songwriters, 1 A+ songwriter and as you said, Ringo was no slouch either. He wrote some good songs and if not for just how amazing the other 3 were in comparison would probably be looked at more highly.

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

Happy Xmas is the only good Christmas song. Which is a modern miracle.
There's no such thing as a "good" xmas song. There are only "tolerable" and "intolerable" xmas songs and both Lennon's "Happy Christmas" and McCartney's "Simply having a wonderful Christmas time" or whatever the fuck it's called fall deep into the latter category.

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

The worst Xmas carol besides XMAS shoes that i ever had to endure was working in retail, the boss played a Rosie O Donnell xmas album on a loop where she sang with other celebrities, like Cher or Jessica Simpson and i think Lamb Chop
You need to separate Christmas carols from Christmas songs. There are traditional carols that are banal and annoying (like Jingle Bells) but you get an operatic tenor to sing a proper rendition of "O Holy Night" and the hair on the back of your neck will stand on end.

LeafOfFaith

It's insane how a four man band could have 2 absolute elite songwriters, 1 A+ songwriter and as you said, Ringo was no slouch either. He wrote some good songs and if not for just how amazing the other 3 were in comparison would probably be looked at more highly.
It's like the Leafs' core 4.

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

You guys are so insane when it comes to this fictional character you've built up for me. The things you think I am would be so ridiculously disproven by the things I've done, that you'd feel true shame for even suggesting them here.

But feel free to feed those imaginations.
Anyone who has posted regularly on these boards for as many years as some of us clearly has no shame. We're living in a post-shame world.

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

Christmas music is the fucking worst. Anybody caught playing that shit before December 1 should be arrested.

Some of the classics are classics for a reason, but as far as rock stuff goes, only 2 good ones I can think of are Lennon's Happy Xmas and U2's Baby Please Come Home.
Fairytale of New York - The Pogues featuring Kirsty MacColl (the non-politically correct rendition)

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

Oh I think lots of jews love it. It's a very jewish type of holiday frankly - centered on family and tradition.

I was just listening to a Stern interview of Paul Rudd and he was talking about it like this too.
One of my Jewish friends back in college used to watch The Sound of Music every Christmas without fail.

Must have been the Nazi thing.

LeafOfFaith

One of my Jewish friends back in college used to watch The Sound of Music every Christmas without fail.

Must have been the Nazi thing.
I hear a Christmas song, and I'm basically transported back to my childhood home, can remember the snow on the roof of the garage that my bedroom overlooked, remember all the fun innocence of being a kid with the excitement and newness of everything, and everyone still young, and random memories of being out and about at places like the Eaton Center packed during December, and driving back home with the family and hearing all these songs in the car (which is where I heard them in the first place). I really don't know if I'm nostalgic or depressed, but I can't get enough of the past. Very unhealthy and unproductive outlook either way.