• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

I think the fact that we knew all the characters who were dusted had sequels lined up already reduced the emotional impact for me. Had they not already announced the phase 4 slate of movies.... Then it would be jarring.
Exactly. It was completely meaningless. Did the Spider-Man franchise come to a sudden end there? Even if they hadn’t announced sequels, the mass death of half the MCU was obviously not something that was gonna stick by the time Endgame was over.

I mean, for me it was still a good scene. I still remember sitting in the theatre after it being like "damn, that just happened". But I'm not going to get all emotional and start crying or something over it.

If you weren't gutted by this, I question the first part of your post

giphy.gif

The best Transformer movie (**** the Michael Bay ****):

I mean, for me it was still a good scene. I still remember sitting in the theatre after it being like "damn, that just happened". But I'm not going to get all emotional and start crying or something over it.
This is the issue with killing superheroes. It never ever ever lasts. They’re coming back, and soon. So how can you ever get emotionally invested in a storyline where mass death of them is the focus? They should never bother killing off any heroes. Come up with something that can have short term and also lasting impact.

Exactly. It was completely meaningless. Did the Spider-Man franchise come to a sudden end there? Even if they hadn’t announced sequels, the mass death of half the MCU was obviously not something that was gonna stick by the time Endgame was over.

Except there are multiple dead characters that are gone from IW, and a bunch died before the snap. Saying that we all knew that all of the snapped characters were coming back is bullshit. We know that not all of them were going to bite it (Spidey, Black Panther, yeah anyone with an announce sequel) but there were a lot of snapped characters they weren't so safe.

Original vision, good guy Loki, Heimdall, Black Widow, Peter Quill's Gamora are all dead-dead. I mean, if you've got no attachment to that, I again refer to my first post on the matter.

Might be an idea to use spoiler tags, some of us haven't seen these films yet.

I dunno, at a certain point, there's a statute of limitations on having to tip-toe around spoilers.

Infinity War came out three years ago, and it's been just shy of two years since Endgame was released.

Yeah, they did certainly hit some big names too. And obviously endgame hit a few big names too. I do think they did a good job on a lot. I think personally the dusting scene would have hit harder if they actually avoided all the characters with a sequel coming up. I know why - they wanted endgame to focus on the old crew, so this was a fantastic way to do that. And certainly if you weren't following the other announcements and didn't know then damn, that would have been big. But that scene lost something if you know they're coming back later.

Ask 100 people at a comic convention who they are and you might not get one.

Now you're just making shit up. Both were regulars in their respective main characters runs. Gamora was a staple in Adam Warlock's various runs for years, and Heimdall in Thor's since the 60's-70's.

Back