• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

I admit I'm wrong all the time. I'm elite at that.

maybe I don't get it but the answer was never cause he was a bad guy as you and Jonas seem to think was the issue. That wasn't hidden... the issue was the instant 180 with his family.

If the answer is because his planet requires him to build up his son and that he thought beating up his son was going to change the kid that didn't want to give up a girl to be a super hero then fine but that doesn't do it for me.

His motive for killing the "avengers" was fine btw. No problem there.

There were moments of him being a standoffish dick the entire season, even with family. First time he takes Mark out for a flight he smokes him. There were moments of him being condescending AF to the wife as well. He comes off as generally cold the entire season imo. He's not an obvious monster per se, but is obviously hiding things. If you re watch his interactions with the wife under the whole "I love her, but kind of see her as a pet, I'm going to live thousands of years and she's super temporary to me in that context" they make a whole lot more sense. I just don't see the 180 you're talking about.

Fair enough. I took most of the coldness as hiding stuff.
I'll rewatch it again at some point but he basically goes from join me to kicking his sons ass almost instantly. But you're right he wasn't pure good to pure evil.

Maybe this is a little on the nose, but here is my take:

I think the point is: once he had a kid, he wanted to "rule" earth with him as soon as Mark got his powers. Because they live sooo long, he wanted to have a companion/family to live out his life with. He tells Mark that his people have a "only the strong survive" society, and that to be part of that society Mark has to be strong/cold blooded/psychopathic to be accepted.

Nolan has a job to do, he is a soldier. They are trained to never let anything get in their way of the mission. So he fights Mark, as he is getting in the way. But, he realizes his mistake as the fight goes on: he let him grow up as a "human" and knows that his connection to his Mom and friends are too strong, and while he was about to kill Mark, he remembers being a Father (human or otherwise) and doesn't. Fly's away to go back home (?) and leaves his post (which NEVER happens) and .... to come back when Mother and friends are dead? to send another soldier to Earth that doesn't have his Fatherly connections? I don't know, as I haven't read the comics, or read any spoilers...

Watching Sons of Sam on Netflix, but these crime shows are losing their luster for me. They are starting to all feel the same. The Paul Giamatti voice-over feels awkward.

I’m wanting some big disease type shows now. Contagion was a good movie back in the day. I watched a show on Ebola semi-recently. I think it was based on a true story but it wasn’t that memorable.

Honestly the crime genre had never done it for me. I have no idea why there's a million CSIs. What is wrong with people.

True Detective was good but only because the actual crime sleuthing was besides the point.
I agree. For documentaries, I prefer the human story to be the focus. The documentary on the Boston marathon bombing "The Patriot's Day Bombing" is great at this. You can see it on HBO. Very high recommendation.

Netflix is ruining documentaries. I watched Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel. Its 4 hour runtime broke down something like this:

2.5 hours - eerie shots of the LA skyline, the outside of the hotel, and the inside of the hotel.
1 hour - interviews with people who had nothing to do with the case, but could talk about what a seedy shit hole the hotel is or that area of LA is.
25 minutes - a voice reading the girls tumblr posts, or describing what she did in the days prior, none of which led anywhere.
5 minutes - actual facts about the case (it was pretty simple)

I didn't know anything about the case going in. If I had of, I would have looked at this thing being a 4-part series and said "nah".

The problem is that these streaming services want to stretch all of these documentaries into docuseries now, so you end up with so much filler. The Thin Blue Line, one of the best documentaries ever and probably the greatest crime documentary ever, is an hour and forty minutes.

Netflix is ruining documentaries. I watched Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel. Its 4 hour runtime broke down something like this:

2.5 hours - eerie shots of the LA skyline, the outside of the hotel, and the inside of the hotel.
1 hour - interviews with people who had nothing to do with the case, but could talk about what a seedy shit hole the hotel is or that area of LA is.
25 minutes - a voice reading the girls tumblr posts, or describing what she did in the days prior, none of which led anywhere.
5 minutes - actual facts about the case (it was pretty simple)

I didn't know anything about the case going in. If I had of, I would have looked at this thing being a 4-part series and said "nah".
that is one of the better ones

i am not sure how they managed to make the son of sam murderer boring but they did

My wife loves all the true crime stuff. What I pick up, as I'm doing something else, is the guy's voice. "Betty was your average suburban mom off getting some groceries for her kids."

..and then I'm, "oooh...I don't think Betty's coming back"
I’m more thinking, nobody thought anything of the lye she was picking up along with the shovel, rope and gloves.

Back