• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

Yeah, I’m a big fan of the TV series and the books, though I think the TV series has declined in quality somewhat the past season or two. Still very much worth watching.

The books are even better, and the ninth and final book of the series is due to come out this fall.
I’m an avid reader (have less and less time to do so lately though). Who’s the author? I’d enjoy a good new series to get into as long as it’s not exactly the same

I’m an avid reader (have less and less time to do so lately though). Who’s the author? I’d enjoy a good new series to get into as long as it’s not exactly the same

The authors are Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, though they use the pen name “James S.A. Corey” for The Expanse series.

And like a lot of book-to-TV/film adaptions, the TV series stays pretty faithful to the source material to start, but diverges more and more as the series goes on. I enjoyed both, and didn’t feel that one detracted from the other.

The TV series is also behind the books. I’d say the latest season only brings the show up to about halfway through book #6 in the series.

The authors are Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, though they use the pen name “James S.A. Corey” for The Expanse series.

And like a lot of book-to-TV/film adaptions, the TV series stays pretty faithful to the source material to start, but diverges more and more as the series goes on. I enjoyed both, and didn’t feel that one detracted from the other.

The TV series is also behind the books. I’d say the latest season only brings the show up to about halfway through book #6 in the series.

Yeah, especially for any series that runs multiple seasons, a little change early, or swapping around a few characters here or there, or even just having some actors who they liked and who they gave more time to early, suddenly a couple years later you have to shift around plot points to accomodate. But yeah, as you said, the changes are more minor in many ways, so I wouldn't actually worry too much about reading+watching at the same time unless if you were someone who really has to be in close on all the plot points.

Both the series and the books are quite good, and they do a great job at trying to be scientifically accurate (even stuff like having characters track how many times they've left the airlock to know how much oxygen is left). So that's cool as well, plus the fact it's filmed around Toronto so a lot of the secondary actors are actually Canadian and the few times they go onto "planets" are Toronto scenes.

I’m sure this series was brought up already but I just finished watching “The Looming Tower”.
Was pretty good

We finished it last week. Yes absolutely fantastic series. I usually like, maybe, 5% of endings in a series or movies. The ending was well done in this one.
And yes Winslet is an absolute gem of an actor.
Yeah it was great. That ending was superb. Having experienced so many similar challenges, it really felt genuine.

Back