• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The M-Fing Food Thread

BeLeafer

resurrected
Garden expansion underway. Will be cutting whole branches tomorrow to make sunlight for the many tomato seedlings I have going. Sacrifices must be made.

trujaysfan

Used my Meator for the 1st time today and it does a really nice job. No setting a time just a bluetooth thermometer that you can program to different cuts of meat. Tells you when its done cooking and when you have let it rest enough.

Wayward DP

there is a part of me that really likes the challenge of just... knowing when your meat is cooked to perfection. so I'm torn on things like a sous vide or probe. I think a sous vide makes cooking too boring for me (full disclosure, do not own and have not used).

I deem old school meat thermometers to be acceptable technology, unsure about anything beyond that though :p

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
there is a part of me that really likes the challenge of just... knowing when your meat is cooked to perfection. so I'm torn on things like a sous vide or probe. I think a sous vide makes cooking too boring for me (full disclosure, do not own and have not used).

I deem old school meat thermometers to be acceptable technology, unsure about anything beyond that though :p

Thing about cooking any protein to perfection is that if you don't nail it within about a 2 minute window, it's still incredible but it's not really perfection. I mean, if you've got the skills to know the difference between 133 internal and 138 internal (the difference between carry over bringing you to mid rare or almost medium) by look and feel, have at it. I prefer to take the guess work out, especially if I'm dealing with something that's an expensive, higher end cut though. The benefit of sous vide is largely removing the gradient of doneness, as well as the ability to turn tougher steaks (flank specifically, jeebus) incredibly soft. I don't find a whole ton of difference between doing something like a rib or strip steak (in fact, the 2-3 hr cook time is diminishing returns imo) but as soon as you start getting into more niche or large cuts (flank, hangar, roasts, etc) sous vide ftw.

Wayward DP

Thing about cooking any protein to perfection is that if you don't nail it within about a 2 minute window, it's still incredible but it's not really perfection. I mean, if you've got the skills to know the difference between 133 internal and 138 internal (the difference between carry over bringing you to mid rare or almost medium) by look and feel, have at it. I prefer to take the guess work out, especially if I'm dealing with something that's an expensive, higher end cut though. The benefit of sous vide is largely removing the gradient of doneness, as well as the ability to turn tougher steaks (flank specifically, jeebus) incredibly soft. I don't find a whole ton of difference between doing something like a rib or strip steak (in fact, the 2-3 hr cook time is diminishing returns imo) but as soon as you start getting into more niche or large cuts (flank, hangar, roasts, etc) sous vide ftw.
I'll rephrase. I take a LOT more satisfaction from getting my meat just right on my own than I do from using a tool to tell me when its done. Plus, I don't mind suffering the consequences if I mess up either.

And I acknowledge that the tool is likely going to be more consistent and better at it. For me, it's less enjoyable. That may change over time, but not yet.

LeafGm

I'll rephrase. I take a LOT more satisfaction from getting my meat just right on my own than I do from using a tool to tell me when its done. Plus, I don't mind suffering the consequences if I mess up either.

And I acknowledge that the tool is likely going to be more consistent and better at it. For me, it's less enjoyable. That may change over time, but not yet.

I’m the same. I very much enjoy cooking based on feel and intuition.

I only get super precise when it comes to baking, and even then I’ll still switch things up and experiment as much as possible.