• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The M-Fing Food Thread

LeafGm

Seasonal veggie baskets rolling in from regional farm. We made a rhubarb BBQ sauce, fucken awesomeness. Will be painting lotsa that on ribs, and soon. Lotsa cukes too, so we whipped up some Korean style refrigerator pickles. They should be good for a few days, but they won’t last that long.

Got the recipe for that? I've got a lot of fresh rhubarb that's ready to be harvested, and been trying to think of what to do with it. A BBQ sauce seems like an interesting idea.

Kritter

I’m in a bunch of BBQ smoker groups on Facebook. Mostly ‘muricans on there. They are always talking about tri tips. Have never seen that cut here is Canada. Is it under a different name here?

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
I’m in a bunch of BBQ smoker groups on Facebook. Mostly ‘muricans on there. They are always talking about tri tips. Have never seen that cut here is Canada. Is it under a different name here?

I've seen tri-tip in Canada but not often....it's part of the bottom sirloin.

The way different countries (UK, USA, Argentina) divide the cow in cuts differently for max flavour and profit is fascinating to me.

Wayward DP

we used to sell tri tip at the butcher shop I worked at. granted we are not in Ontario. but like CH noted, all depends on how the beef is broken down.

picanha is a crazy popular (and delicious) cut in Brazil that I didn't know existed until I went there cause it just wasn't something we did.

so moral of the story - you can definitely get a tri tip, just reach out to your butcher

Kritter

I get briskets and beef ribs direct from a farmer 45 mins down the road, never thought of asking him. I might send him a PM and ask him.
a tri tip has little to no connective tissue so imagine I nice low/slow on the Traeger would be brilliant.

we dont have any butchers in the way you think of a butcher, Wayward. My family (uncle) actually had the last true “butcher shop” around these parts. he bought half cows and broke them down right in front of everyone on that big ass block my grandfather started with decades ago, lol there wasn’t any part of that surface that was flat or level from all the cleaning/sanding done on it throughout the years.. I miss that place so much :( and my uncle.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig

Find a good butcher and just ask them for it. In supermarkets it usually gets left on roasts in Canada because our slow cook/smoker culture just isn't there (yet). Regularly called "bottom sirloin" in some variation or another. But a real butcher will know what you're looking for. He'll probably ask if you're smoking it or want it in steaks. Almost like a poor man's brisket if you're smoking it. If you're smoking it, keep the fat cap on.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
we used to sell tri tip at the butcher shop I worked at. granted we are not in Ontario. but like CH noted, all depends on how the beef is broken down.

picanha is a crazy popular (and delicious) cut in Brazil that I didn't know existed until I went there cause it just wasn't something we did.

so moral of the story - you can definitely get a tri tip, just reach out to your butcher

Picanha can (sort of) be found in Costco's meat department basically everywhere in the country. Called top sirloin cap steaks. It's not true picanha, it usually include one steak from past the 2nd vein that would be considered cochon duro in Brazil, but it's about as close as you're going to find without having a decent butcher.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
My main butcher has picanha (cap on) for $15.49/lb. Not sure how "true" it is.

https://sanagansmeatlocker.com/products/picanha-steak-fat-cap-on?_pos=1&_sid=e8c5e6446&_ss=r

The difference between true and not is just in how far back from the tip that they butcher it. If you look on the meat side of the sirloin tip you'll see a few white veins that all run in the same direction. True picanha is only up to just before the 3rd vein. The 3rd vein and onward is called cochon duro in Brazil and it's way more hit and miss for tenderness (which is why it's not picanha). Sometimes it's as tender, or close as picanha, sometimes it's kind of shit as a steak so don't risk it.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
I'd definitely order that as is and see if they butcher it right. If they do, you're good. Worst case scenario and you're going to end up with a steak from the back end of the tip that will be a coin toss as to how good it is. Might be just as good, might be tougher.

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
I'd definitely order that as is and see if they butcher it right. If they do, you're good. Worst case scenario and you're going to end up with a steak from the back end of the tip that will be a coin toss as to how good it is. Might be just as good, might be tougher.

I’ll pop by (15 min walk) and ask them the tough questions about 3rd veins one of these days

Preston

The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust
did you ever order your ‘nduja?
I tried to find it at Longos and came up empty, at least at my location. Didn't make the order on Eataly yet tho. I figure once I'm fully vaccinated I'll make my way there in person. Give me like 2-3 weeks max. No idea why that shit is so hard to find around here.