• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The M-Fing Food Thread

Even if I know that it's probably safe, short of us all ending up in a post apocalyptic hell scape, theres no chance I would do this just because.

Instead of falling for the dastardly tricks of Big Canned Food, why not just fucking buy only what you intend on eating in the first place?

The whole reason the subject came up is because he was tearing into my grandmother about how much food she’s bought over the years, only to stack them up and not eat them.

Yeah, I'm going to side with LOF on this particular food hot-take. If I'm going to wager my own body on the chances of getting food poisoning or botulism, the stakes will need to be higher than letting a $1 can of tuna go to waste.

But if shit does hit the fan and we experience societal collapse, at least he knows where to go to find a food horde!

#stockpile.

Presty is very particular about how we use the word “horde” on this board. It has to specifically mean something that it doesn’t, and here the use was proper, so it’s disallowed.

#stockpile.

Presty is very particular about how we use the word “horde” on this board. It has to specifically mean something that it doesn’t, and here the use was proper, so it’s disallowed.
Presty uses trading jargon when trading jargon applies. Much like when presty says someone sniped a goalie I don't mean it in a literal sense.

You're the particular one for outlawing jargon on forumice!!!

I visited my gramps yesterday and was imploring him to throw out some of the mountains of expired food they have in there (that they don’t even eat!). I pulled out literally like 20 expired cans of canned tuna and salmon, showing him expiration dates going as far back as 2009!!

As a former food distributor, he says the expiration dates are a con by the companies to get you to buy more when you don’t need to. On most foods, especially those that are air sealed, and especially annoyed at the notion that medications ever go bad. So he insisted we open the canned salmon from 2009, and he literally ate half of it in front of me and was like it’s absolutely perfect, no different than if I bought one today. He implored me to try it. I admitted to him that the smell was fine and it looked fine too, but why take the risk to eat 12 year old food than to buy a new one for $1?? He says he happily makes regular charitable donations (i.e., not tight with money), but he will never throw out those $1 cans if his life depended on it.

He put the rest of the opened can of salmon back in the fridge, uncovered, to finish off later.

my great aunt was a pharmacist who kept some drugs from very early in her career (1960s) as a keepsake.

a few years back she was in touch with one of the big pharma cos in a professional capacity and mentioned the old drugs. they asked if they could have some for sampling/testing. almost all (if not all) of the drugs she gave them were shelf stable/had no degradation.

Yup, gramps says the same thing. In fact, there's some cream of some sort made by a brand that is long gone that he uses sparingly for body aches that is like 40-50 years old and he says it still works like a charm, better than what he can buy at the drug store today.

I think canned tuna just has a best before date not an expiry date. If the can is not damaged it should last for years past the printed date.

Yup, gramps says the same thing. In fact, there's some cream of some sort made by a brand that is long gone that he uses sparingly for body aches that is like 40-50 years old and he says it still works like a charm, better than what he can buy at the drug store today.

You need to introduce him to CBD topicals. I guarantee that they piss on whatever WW2 era cream he pines for, from great height.

Interesting...do you shave it and keep cooking it? If not, how do you keep the outer half from drying before the core of it cooks?

The end result from the poster . Looks to have turned out with more of a meatloaf texture than a traditional kebab on a rotisserie but I suspect if sliced thin and fried up after with some water/oil it would be decent

1624486696268.png

Back