• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The M-Fing Food Thread

I'm not even a stew person but it's hard to ignore the flavors that you can extract out of them. But yes, low effort stews are garbage.

I see the tide in this stew war is turning!

I made my lack of enthusiasm for stew very obvious early in this discussion -- I'm finding fault with both your closed-mindedness and Habsy eating stew every other meal, with old cabbages no less!

On the subject of delicious stews, I used the stock I made from my Christmas turkey to make a one yesterday. Pretty happy with the results.

Since I'd rendered a good amount of fat from the turkey, I used some of it to make a roux. Set that aside and browned a couple of German pork sausages in a bit of bacon grease & olive oil. Then added in onions & garlic.

Followed by roasted leeks, carrots & celery, before adding the roux & some leftover turkey drippings to the mix. Then some diced tomatoes, turkey stock & seasoning, before taking it off heat and adding shredded leftover turkey that'd been soaking in the turkey drippings for a day.

It was the first time I've tried making a roux. Using the turkey fat worked pretty well, though I think next time I'd use a bit less flour and cook the roux for a bit longer to darken it some more.

Last edited:
I made my lack of enthusiasm for stew very obvious early in this discussion -- I'm finding fault with both your closed-mindedness and Habsy eating stew every other meal, with old cabbages no less!
You damn well know stuffed cabbage is awesome the best next few days. I always make extra because of it.

so going down to Queen W later today to run an errand before the newest lockdown starts, and was chagrined to find covid had claimed Ghandi Roti...but then I read somebody who cooked there reopened another place that serves the same type of stuff! Hurray! I will have tasty madras or butter chicken roti as pregame dinner!

so going down to Queen W later today to run an errand before the newest lockdown starts, and was chagrined to find covid had claimed Ghandi Roti...but then I read somebody who cooked there reopened another place that serves the same type of stuff! Hurray! I will have tasty madras or butter chicken roti as pregame dinner!

yeah...the cooks took over the joint. I don't think they changed much...maybe added a few options. I didn't notice a difference....still substantial and delicious!

https://www.blogto.com/restaurants/roti-mahal-toronto/

How did it work out bro?

we got a Madras and a butter chicken roti. Medium spicy. I could handle their spicy if it was just me but medium has a nice kick. many white people would find it quite hot already I think.

Back