• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The M-Fing Food Thread

Have you seen the price of whole cream? Making butter isn't cheaper than buying it.

Break up the Saputo Hermanos Dairy Cartel!!!

I was out with a chef friend last night and he told me the restaurants he worked at would routinely purchase expired cream at a discount.... the cream is good at least a week past the date and actually yields a sweeter butter.

#foodhacks4life

Last nights tri tip.. turned out alright for my first attempt.
took them off at 130-135 and wrapped. I think they cooked at least another 5 degrees in the wrap… they didn’t go on to sear until 30 minutes after, and we were several beers into it by then and I think it was on a few minutes too long lol.
would have liked them a little rarer, like at least 10 degrees rarer.

Always go under!

I was out with a chef friend last night and he told me the restaurants he worked at would routinely purchase expired cream at a discount.... the cream is good at least a week past the date and actually yields a sweeter butter.

#foodhacks4life
I think there are only like 5 or 6 products in Canada that have to have an actual “best before date” you have no follow no questions. Everything else is simply added to a product to conform to regulations and standards

#foodhacks4life

That sounds riskyish

I'm aware of the best before dates on dairy largely being bullshit, but I don't know where to source good expired cream from. I usually just do costco for my butter making, can usually get 35% for about 4.19 a litre, so 4L will net me about 1.2kg of butter and then way more buttermilk than I can find a reasonable use for. Only so many pancakes you can make within the next week or pieces of chicken you can bring and 2.5L of buttermilk is a fucking lot.

I think there are only like 5 or 6 products in Canada that have to have an actual “best before date” you have no follow no questions. Everything else is simply added to a product to conform to regulations and standards

True...and that yields an arbitrage opportunity.

Most food doesn’t magically go bad when the clock strikes midnight but the grocer can’t sell it... thus when the date approaches Loblaws has a big 50% discount "enjoy tonight" sticker that I probably enjoy 5x year when my dinner plans coincide with their inventory surplus.... But the potential to be more strategic exists... Ie adapt your menu based on market conditions

That sounds riskyish

I'm aware of the best before dates on dairy largely being bullshit, but I don't know where to source good expired cream from. I usually just do costco for my butter making, can usually get 35% for about 4.19 a litre, so 4L will net me about 1.2kg of butter and then way more buttermilk than I can find a reasonable use for. Only so many pancakes you can make within the next week or pieces of chicken you can bring and 2.5L of buttermilk is a fucking lot.

Yeah... It doesn't seem risky but also doesn't seem worth it for the at home cook.. Unless vaccine hunters pivots to expired_dairy hunters post Covid

Yes,

Propane heat source, wood box on top of the heat and then a water/drippings tray above the wood box.
With the Traeger i always worry about the fucking auger, cause it died on me on my 3rd smoke after I bought it, so pissed but they were great to deal with though, but that event has made me paranoid lol…would hate to have 10-12 people over and have it die on me.
breakdown on those propane models probably aren’t as common?

With the Traeger i always worry about the fucking auger, cause it died on me on my 3rd smoke after I bought it, so pissed but they were great to deal with though, but that event has made me paranoid lol…would hate to have 10-12 people over and have it die on me.
breakdown on those propane models probably aren’t as common?
Parents have had the same model i have for about 10 years and works the same.

So I’m going to spatchcock 3 chickens for the smoker today or tomorrow.. anyone mix a bunch of corn starch with the dry rub to get the skin crunchy? I do that with wings but that is a 30 or so min cook, the full chickens are an hour fifteen-thirty cook. I put the smoker at 375 but sometimes only get 350 even with the thermal on it

So I’m going to spatchcock 3 chickens for the smoker today or tomorrow.. anyone mix a bunch of corn starch with the dry rub to get the skin crunchy? I do that with wings but that is a 30 or so min cook, the full chickens are an hour fifteen-thirty cook. I put the smoker at 375 but sometimes only get 350 even with the thermal on it
I use butter, salt and granulated garlic as the mop to get the skin crispy but thats on a low and slow cook

Any Lebanese folk around here?
Wanted to make a meal next weekend around kofta. Went online and saw 12 recipes. Also saw 12 different spice blends in those recipes. Anywhere from all-spice, or cumin, and blends thereof. What’s traditional kofta spiced with?
tabbouleh, one of my favourite things out there but I have never made it.
any recommendations for other sides?

#foodhacks4life
I visited my gramps yesterday and was imploring him to throw out some of the mountains of expired food they have in there (that they don’t even eat!). I pulled out literally like 20 expired cans of canned tuna and salmon, showing him expiration dates going as far back as 2009!!

As a former food distributor, he says the expiration dates are a con by the companies to get you to buy more when you don’t need to. On most foods, especially those that are air sealed, and especially annoyed at the notion that medications ever go bad. So he insisted we open the canned salmon from 2009, and he literally ate half of it in front of me and was like it’s absolutely perfect, no different than if I bought one today. He implored me to try it. I admitted to him that the smell was fine and it looked fine too, but why take the risk to eat 12 year old food than to buy a new one for $1?? He says he happily makes regular charitable donations (i.e., not tight with money), but he will never throw out those $1 cans if his life depended on it.

He put the rest of the opened can of salmon back in the fridge, uncovered, to finish off later.

Reactions: CH1
Back