• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

Wayward DP

Cadillac Fairview are shady fucks

More than five million images of faces have been collected without the consent or even knowledge of shoppers at Cadillac Fairview-owned malls across the country, according to Canada's privacy commissioner.

The Privacy Commissioners of Canada, Alberta and B.C. announced in a joint statement on Thursday morning that they had concluded an investigation into the major mall operator's alleged use of facial recognition cameras inside information kiosks.

The privacy watchdogs concluded that CF had indeed "embedded cameras inside their digital information kiosks at 12 shopping malls across Canada and used facial recognition technology without their customers' knowledge or consent."

So this seems like kind of a big deal. Fully recognizing that BlogTO is a fairly useless rag. I hope CF is fined millions of dollars, but assume they escape with, at worst, a slap on the wrist.

anne25

It’s not a major news story, but it was a story that points out that not all news is bad news.

Listening to the news tonight most of it was disturbing. Tucked in among COVID-19, the election in the US, a mass shoot in in Austria there was a bright spot. A three year old girl was rescued alive after spending three days buried in the rubble of the Turkish earthquake.

I know in the big scheme of things it was a minor story but it made me feel better after a day of listening to almost nothing but turmoil brewing in the US.