• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

people are still allowed to hold objectionable views though.

did she perform the duties of her job professionally? was she an impediment on set?

one thing that may be relevant here is if she signed any agreement about political speech, morality clause, etc. if she violated the terms of her contract that is different. but I have a hard time with firing people because they believe unpopular things.

She was doing anti Trans and holocaust shit and Disney said well fuxk off

No, the owners of the platforms of course. Don't be a twit.
iu

I have a problem with employers dictating what is and is not acceptable thought. quite literally can lead to tyranny of the majority

There are situations where employers may wish to restrict speech but that should be written into a contract. For instance, a spokesperson for a company will likely have such language in a contract.

This person was not a spokesperson for Lucasfilms and likely had no such contractual obligations. What she actually said about the holocaust was largely true but the idea that republican supporters are suffering similar persecution is plainly stupid.

Here's what she said according to reports:

“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbours … even by children,” the report said quoting a post she shared on Instagram.

“Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbours hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views.”

The first part is untrue, as in "not by Nazi soldiers." The part about the neighbours and ordinary people is absolutely true too and important. Holocaust historiography has come a long way since the 60s. Browning's Oridinary Men (early 90s) was groundbreaking in terms of showing how much ordinary people participated in rounding up and murdering Jews in eastern Europe. The same held throughout western Europe. A lot of people don't understand that the Gestapo relied heavily on ordinary people denouncing their neighbours.

The point about conditioning people to hate Jews is also true and important. Leaping from there to the treatment of Republican supporters is plainly stupid and standard issue right wing persecution complex shit.

Nowhere is she denying the holocaust, trivializing it, or being anti-semitic.

Nowhere is she denying the holocaust, trivializing it, or being anti-semitic.

She's taking the persecution Jews faced during the Holocaust one one hand, and the consequences and mockery Qanon/MAGA true believers face from the rest of society for their words and actions on the other, and she's equating the two. Or at the very least, holding them up as comparable.

I would definitely say that's trivializing the holocaust, even if she is so completely out of touch with any reality outside of the cultish bubble she lives in and ignorant of history that it may have not been her intent to do that.

And even if Disney no longer wants to employ her, she's still perfectly free to continue her acting career. Maybe she'll find a rich MAGA supporter to sponsor a new streaming TV series on Parler that stars her, James Woods, Jon Voight and Scott Baio, with a special guest appearance from the MyPillow guy.

And that, of course, is a fate not as undeserved or comparably bad as having all her legal rights and property stripped from her because of her ethnicity, before being hauled off and gassed or worked to death in an extermination camp and having her remains incinerated in an oven.

Last edited:
Disney executives are accountable for protecting their brand.

She is still in her right to sound off like a unhinged douchecanoe if she wants.

She's taking the persecution Jews faced during the Holocaust one one hand, and the consequences and mockery Qanon/MAGA true believers face from the rest of society for their words and actions on the other, and she's equating the two. Or at the very least, holding them up as comparable.

I would definitely say that's trivializing the holocaust, even if she is so completely out of touch with any reality outside of the cultish bubble she lives in and ignorant of history that it may have not been her intent to do that.
I can see how some might see it as trivializing it. To my mind, it's just rank ignorance and stupidity/persecution complex to compare them. Her claims about the Holocaust and the widescale participation in it is accurate.

Last edited:
ah ****. just saw a tweet from Ted Cruz supporting her. already being forced to revisit my position.

I do firmly believe though that people should not lose their jobs only for holding opposing political views...
that isnt what this is though

from my limited understanding

Sounds like from twitter that she wasn’t even fired - her contract was up at the end of Season 2 and they’re just choosing not to work with her again due to her public statements.

I don’t see how this is even a thing, tbh. People are free to express themselves in public how they’d like and companies are free to not extend contracts to people posting a picture on Twitter of a bunch of notable Jewish figures around a monopoly board from a Reptilian/Illuminati conspiracy dude.

It's funny, like in peculiar, how this right wing nut gets all the attention but, on the same day, Nathan Robinson, a leftist, was fired from The Guardian over a tweet that made a quip about US military support for Israel. Not trending on twitter.

Leftists -- particularly anti-imperialists (third rail in US politics) -- get censored daily on social media.

It's funny, like in peculiar, how this right wing nut gets all the attention but, on the same day, Nathan Robinson, a leftist, was fired from The Guardian over a tweet that made a quip about US military support for Israel. Not trending on twitter.

Leftists -- particularly anti-imperialists (third rail in US politics) -- get censored daily on social media.

It’s not really peculiar at all.

One of these people starred in one of the most popular TV shows and pop-culture phenomenons on the planet at this moment in time.

The other is an obscure 32 year-old print journalist most people have never heard of before.

I'd never heard of her once previously.

This happens regularly -- right winger gets 'cancelled' and it's all over the twittersphere. Of course, this is red meat for libs so all good.

You don't even realize how thoroughly your "independent" news sources have been infiltrated by right wing talking point.

Back