• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

I always thought Masai was staying because this is a pretty damn good gig. And Toronto is a pretty great basketball market.

Sure, if the Lakers called he'd listen...similarly if Obama called with a killer world changing NGO gig but both of those are low odd scenarios.

I used to think Masai was staying too, but the excuses for why his deal isn’t done yet are becoming increasingly unconvincing to me.

I think Tanenbaum would already be willing to hand him a blank cheque, so I don’t buy that it’s a pressure tactic by Masai to get himself paid.

He’s already gotten Webster, Nurse and all of his guys contract extensions, so that excuse doesn’t hold water anymore.

The Raptors season has effectively been over for almost two months now, so I don’t buy the “waiting for the season to be over” excuse anymore either.

He gone.

I agree that Masai could have done this sooner....I don't think he waited to gain leverage on $$$. I think he's waiting in case an exceptional life changing offer solidifies.

I'd maybe be more pessimistic if I cared more. Keeping Masai is more of a status or symbolic thing. Bobby W would be the raps dubas and would do just fine.

I thought he was gonna leave since last offseason. You don’t wait around for offers this off-season to likely just sign with the raps.

the temptation of a gig where he doesn't need to try and win with one hand tied behind his back has to be there.

Don't now of any gig he can get in the NBA with full carte blanche without a middling ownership group

He can control whatever direction he wants to take

Great city , fans, and lifestyle for the rich .

"I want to know, 'So, what's the next lift? What's the next five years? What's the next 10 years? What are we doing to put ourselves in conversation with all the great teams and all the winners?' That's what we want to do, and that's the conversation that I'm going to have with [ownership]. And, yes, I'm going to have asks, and I'm going to have a lot of things that I think we need to put forward here to address these things, and I think ownership is open to hear this.

"So, in terms of that conversation, that's going to be had."

That's not how someone talks when they have decided already to leave.

That's someone using his leverage with the organization to try to push them to operate like the elite clubs operate, whatever that means.

Masai isn't pulling any punches, he wants the ownership group yo commit to spending past the luxury tax consistently. That is the only way to achieve sustained success.

He mentioned building the Raptors brand so that it matches the likes of Madrid, and United. Not going to happen with MLSE in charge.

Back