• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

axlsalinger

Baseball fans love to argue over who should win big awards. But there likely was no debate Thursday about the most surprising name on the list of players getting National League MVP votes.

That was Tepera, the Chicago Cubs reliever who was 0-1 with a 3.92 ERA during the coronavirus-shortened season.

The 33-year-old right-hander received a single 10th-place vote for one point, leaving him tied for 18th in the NL balloting, far behind winner Freddie Freeman. Still, that's more support than the likes of Bryce Harper, Jacob deGrom and Nolan Arenado drew as they got shut out.

"I meant to hit Trea Turner and thought I had,'' longtime St. Louis Post-Dispatch writer Rick Hummel said. Fondly called "The Commish" by his peers, Hummel in 2006 won the Baseball Writers' Association of America's award for excellence that is presented during the Hall of Fame's induction ceremonies.

Jeremy

The Toronto Blue Jays could be looking at making a big free-agent splash in the outfield.

Sources tell FanSided's Robert Murray that the team "loves" George Springer and are serious about landing the 31-year-old three-time All-Star.

manny

Hard not to like Springer, but he’s a guy that strikes me more as a RF that can sort of play CF than a CF. Better than Grichuk in every way, but if they get him I hope they’ll still consider a defensive upgrade in CF.

Gurriel—Bradley Jr.—Springer is a formidable OF. Grichuk would be an overpriced but solid 4th OF in that situation, but that’s what he is with this contract.

Teoscar should be the primary DH, IMO. He could play OF a couple of times a week.

UWHabs

I'm ok with Springer in CF for a couple years. Then put Martin in there

Yeah, he's not going to win a gold glove there, but can play there regularly without hurting you defensively. And then easily in a couple years can switch him to a corner if/when you bring in a better defensive CF.

zeke

Springer sounds right because he's kind of the perfect outcome of the model OF they've been trying for - all of Grichuk teoscar fisher fit the same mold - the difference is that Springer actually figured it out and cut his sky high K% down to a reasonable level.

manny

Yeah, he's not going to win a gold glove there, but can play there regularly without hurting you defensively. And then easily in a couple years can switch him to a corner if/when you bring in a better defensive CF.
No doubt Springer would be a great addition. I'd just like them to move beyond filling positions with guys who can barely do the job or, at best, "won't hurt you". Especially for the key defensive positions.

MyNameIsJonas

My guess is you're going to hear yhe Jays linked on tons of stuff.

I suspect yhey are hoping for one big ticket item be it INF, CF, SP, then filling yhe remaining 2 holes with mid tier guys like Wong, JBJ, Odorizzi