• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Yeah, not saying they shouldn't "risk" a large sum of money on a starter, just that if you spend it on Trevor Bauer, that money is no longer available for a high-end starter who isn't Bauer.

It's tough in a thin SP market. I just go back to, IF Luis Castillo is available for a reasonable price, I start there.

Define reasonable. Bauer + Keeping Groshans/SWR/Kirk types might be better than losing them and having Castillo? Even if we have more money left over to spend.

I’m probably being prospect greedy. I’d hate to move one of our top guys and see him flourish on another team. Of course we’d have the stud pitcher in return.

Tough call.

maybe keep the prospects and go with the 2nd tiered guys. Odorizzi is a guy that has been pretty good in the ALE. If he didn’t get hurt last season and repeated the year before he might’ve been looking at near Bauer money.

I’m probably being prospect greedy. I’d hate to move one of our top guys and see him flourish on another team. Of course we’d have the stud pitcher in return.

Tough call.

maybe keep the prospects and go with the 2nd tiered guys. Odorizzi is a guy that has been pretty good in the ALE. If he didn’t get hurt last season and repeated the year before he might’ve been looking at near Bauer money.

For Castillo, I would certainly be more than willing to give some quality. Probably not Pearson or Martin, but I think I'd be more than fine giving up Groshans, or multiple lower prospects. Castillo still only 28, not a lot of innings on his arm, and was basically just as good as Bauer was last year, except Bauer had a ridiculous 90% LOB%, whereas Castillo was a more average 70%. And he was still a 4 WAR guy the year before in a full season, so it's not like he's a one hit wonder. Dude could legit be a top Cy Young contender, so I'd happy to take a chance.

Feels like everyone is still a free agent.

Has MLB changed this year in the sense that everyone is lingering?

Well, half the league still doesn't know if they're going to play with a DH or not.

And everyone else is still not sure if the season starts on time or delayed, if they have to play the full season with 1/10 capacity or will be able to have 40k fans at a game by August. So really not surprising that everyone is overly cautious.

Fangraphs’ ranking of Jays prospects is out (detailed and lengthy). Says the system is “thin” and will end up near the very bottom of their rankings.

“This system will probably end up near the very bottom of the farm rankings, but remember that it just recently lost two top five prospects, Cavan Biggio(who should have been a top 100 prospect), and a couple of good role players, including Thomas Hatch and Anthony Kay, who graduated due to the weird 2020 rookie eligibility rule changes rather than traditional innings totals. The system looks thin but at least there are young big leaguers entrenched at key positions.”

Yeah, he definitely scares me a lot more than a lot of other top starters. Probably mostly just because he hasn't quite got the full track record to back up his likely price tag, he feels like a riskier option than even someone like Ryu, who is risky but at least had enough flaws that he came relatively cheaply.

I think term is the only thing holding up a Bauer deal for any team

Back