• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Carpenter could stay on the mound though. He had 400IP in MLB by Pearson’s age. There were some minor arm injuries in the early going but it was mostly command and lack of a decent third pitch that kept him from reaching his potential in Toronto. Then he had a major injury which Ricciardi didn’t have the patience to deal with.

But yeah, Pearson will be just shy of 2 years of service time at the end of this year and he’s only thrown 20 innings.

Nice luck to avoid having another one of our chump SP go up agai st the Sox tonight.

Yeah, definitely better to delay it and then play it back in TO later. Day off useful with the last minute injury yesterday to Manoah

My point was that by the time Pearson becomes a good mlber he’ll be out of options and they’ll lose him for nothing.

My point was that by the time Pearson becomes a good mlber he’ll be out of options and they’ll lose him for nothing.

Nah, he's way too close to the game that even if he was out of options next year, you just struggle through him in the big leagues until he finds his stuff. But I think this year is the first time they've used an option on him anyways, so if he hasn't figured things out by the time his options are up, he never will.

So who do we want the Jays to target at the deadline?
Jose Berrios is someone that if the twins want to trade him, id be all for the jays trying to grab him. that could be costly tho.
Tyler Anderson is another name i've seen mentioned around being available, and would probably be cheaper to acquire.

on the player side.

I seen the jays had interest in or have been linked to the following
Gallo, Bryant and Cruz.

Gallo - i've never been a huge fan because he seems to strike out alot. but on the other hand he goes yard a lot! and he is a left handed batter who is a pretty good fielding RF'er

Bryant - that answers the question of a starting 3B.

Cruz - is just having another stellar season at the plate. hitting 295 with 19 hr's

i just don't see us needing another OF. so i don't think the Jays management will pay up for Gallo.

Bryant i think makes a lot of sense, but i honestly cannot speak to his defensive game/ability.

Cruz, i'd take as a DH anyday.

Nah, he's way too close to the game that even if he was out of options next year, you just struggle through him in the big leagues until he finds his stuff. But I think this year is the first time they've used an option on him anyways, so if he hasn't figured things out by the time his options are up, he never will.
Yeah, and also the issue with Carpenter wasn't that he was out of options, it's that he had enough service time to be a FA. If Pearson gets to 6 years without becoming a serviceable MLB pitcher, he is not going to be one. He's good enough now, IMO, but can't seem to stay healthy.

Assuming Pearson can come back and contribute out of the pen this year, the next tough decision they'll face is whether to just leave him in the bullpen or let him try to start again. I think you have to give him at least one more season as an SP. If he can't stay healthy again, it's a tougher decision.

i just don't see us needing another OF. so i don't think the Jays management will pay up for Gallo.

Bryant i think makes a lot of sense, but i honestly cannot speak to his defensive game/ability.

Cruz, i'd take as a DH anyday.

Gallo still has one more arb year left, so unfortunately he wouldn't come for free. But he would check a lot of boxes - good D in the corners, left handed, good OBP. I'm not a huge fan of the TTO profile all the time, but he's not Adam Dunn, he can play D and he can move along the bases, so would make a very deep lineup even deeper. And I think he'd be pretty awesome to add in hitting ahead of Vlad or Bo - they hit the ball hard enough that all those walks of Gallo will play up even more.

For anyone else, it all comes down to what the cost is. Jays playoff chances are still under 50%, so you really can't pay a lot for pending FA types. But man, the team is pretty close and thinking of taking a late season run with another piece or two in the lineup would be freaking sweet.

Yeah, and also the issue with Carpenter wasn't that he was out of options, it's that he had enough service time to be a FA. If Pearson gets to 6 years without becoming a serviceable MLB pitcher, he is not going to be one. He's good enough now, IMO, but can't seem to stay healthy.

Assuming Pearson can come back and contribute out of the pen this year, the next tough decision they'll face is whether to just leave him in the bullpen or let him try to start again. I think you have to give him at least one more season as an SP. If he can't stay healthy again, it's a tougher decision.

Would you trade Nate by the deadline ? what return would you want if yes

Would you trade Nate by the deadline ? what return would you want if yes
No, because his value is in the tank right now, IMO. I still believe he is a great prospect and trading him now would probably be a mistake. That said, if some team out there still values him as the top pitching prospect in baseball (very unlikely) absolutely, pull the trigger. Not for a rental though.

No, because his value is in the tank right now, IMO. I still believe he is a great prospect and trading him now would probably be a mistake. That said, if some team out there still values him as the top pitching prospect in baseball (very unlikely) absolutely, pull the trigger. Not for a rental though.

What about for Berrios or another comparable pitcher with some control

I think I'd lean towards a groshans or Martin as the big prospect to trade in any deal.

Those are the guys with the most hype relative to actual performance...and it's not like their tools are super-loud either.

What about for Berrios or another comparable pitcher with some control
Berrios is a FA after next year. He'll be 28 and probably looking to cash in with as much term as possible. I think you need more than that for Pearson.

Might have to agree with Jays Journal on this one, as exciting as Alejandro Kirk is it'd definitely be trading from a position of strength. I also wonder if Austin Martin might be a little over-hyped for what he brings to the table. Could be a great CF, may not have the bat or glove for 3B though.

Who knows how aggressive the Blue Jays will be ahead of the trade deadline, but if they go for a big swap, there’s one prospect who makes sense as a centre piece.

I know there are a lot of fans that won’t like to hear this, but Alejandro Kirk is the high-end prospect I see as the most likely to be expendable. Before you overreact, that doesn’t mean that I’m not a fan of the 22 year old, and this is purely just my speculation. I’m actually quite high on the 5’8 slugger, but I also realize that the Jays are going to have to give up something of value in order to make the improvements they truly need.

Martin is making his pro debut in AA and has a .409 OBP. I’d give him more time before moving him. The lack of extra base power right now is concerning for sure but from what I’ve read about his barrel skills I think he could pop at any minute.

Back